Sunday, September 14, 2008

So humid that I......

Bob has been keeping a log of our journey so here you have it:
90 hours of driving
7334 km (about 5000 miles) covered
8 days of travel.

Good thing we like a good road trip eh??! :-)
But I have been thinking about the true wisdom of driving across the country. It has helped us to acclimate ourselves to life in Roatan. Truly it has. I can't imagine flying from Vernon to Roatan .. the shock would have been great. But this way, we have continued to remain in warm weather. Our bodies are slowing down, we are adjusting to the heat.

Now I must say that I am NOT adjusting to the humidity these days! Driving through Alabama and Florida was almost unbearable. My tank tops would get soaked right through!! As I drove sweat with trickle down the back of my knees, down my arms, and on the back of my neck. Who I am kidding? Sweat was everywhere!! Not a pretty picture. Now some people sweat alot. I do not usually sweat. At one point while driving through Alabama I decided I couldn't take it another minute and whipped off my top. Bob kinda looked at me, eyebrows raised, and I said, Honey I can't stand it. I am dying over here..even with the A/C on!! Then in classic Bob style he said, "Well it is kinda like a bikini." Yeah right. We both knew it wasn't but I really didn't care.

Look at how curly Bob's arm hair is!! That is what humidity does to him!! I wish it was that simple for me!!



I remember as a child going blueberry picking with my Mom and my aunt Phyllis and it was a very hot summer day. They both took off their blouses. I was mortified!! Good thing the kids weren't traveling with us!!! :-) (and no, there aren't any photos of that sight!!) I kept thinking.. please don't let me get stopped for speeding.. please please please...! In fact it was a good way for me to stay within the speed limit. Hey maybe... nah.. never mind. ;-0



Okay another thing that has helped us acclimate to Roatan are the high number of spanish people in California and New Mexico and Florida. I am getting used to hearing Spanish all around me. Bob and I practice what little Spanish we know while we drove and Bob once said, "Debi you sound like you are speaking Chinese!!" Oh NO I am in big trouble!!! :-)

Speaking of trouble, since the hurricane has hit, there has been so much damage everywhere along the coast but even in Talhassee Florida we encountered it's effects. NO GAS!!! I kid you not. The pumps were empty. We had to drive clear across the city because a BP station had gas (but had a 20 dollar limit)

Oh one more thing about Talahassie: BUGS!! Crazy big bugs! It was like they were taking over everything. Apparently they are called 'love bugs' because at this time of year they mate so you just don't get one bug hitting your windshield you get two!!

I took alot of pictures of the bugs on the windshield .. that is what happens when I am bored. I actually got some pretty cool bokeh shots..even got one stuck to the windshield... poor little bug.



We went to church this morning at Bob's Mom's church. It made me miss Vernon. Church is not just about singing or a good message it is about family. This morning I missed my church family. xoxo Here's to all of you. We have not forgotten you.

The hardest part about the adventure is leaving those we love: our kids, our family, our friends, our church family.. I wish we could take you all with us. But blogging will have to do until you come and see us.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there you - having a hot flash in the middle of a heat wave can make a girl crankyyy. So I don't blame ya for taking your top off. I remember mom and aunt Phil taking their tops off. I never really thought too much of it, except those white,really padded, pointed Madonna type bras weren't really that flattering.
    Have fun on Sanibel - are you going to set Wilson free? His family probably really misses him, just like I really miss you.
    love ya lots and lots
    xx B xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh one more thing - I bet all that humidity has made your hair really curly, if you can get it unplastered from your skull.

    ReplyDelete