Monday, September 15, 2008

Florida Fun!

We have been coming down to Florida for about 20 years now. It is such a wonderful place to relax and wind down. The only strange thing about coming down this time is not being able to see Bob's Mom. It just doesn't seem right. But we are thankful that we can stay here to regroup, get last minute Roatan paperwork done, re-pack our stuff, relax and take in the beauty!



I thoroughly enjoy these little salamanders that make their home here. I remember once when Matt was young he quickly grabbed one of these guys and it shed it's tail. The look of horror on Matt's face was priceless. I had to reassure him that he'd be okay it was just the way God made him so he would deal with predators.

This was on the florida room screen this morning!


I used to sit out in the Florida room and watch the birds and usually would see over 10 different varieties a day. I saw this bird earlier today as we were going out for lunch. I am not sure what he is called but we stopped the car and I got within a couple of feet from him. Beautiful isn't he?!




He got a little ruffled as I got near but wasn't afraid of me at all. I was hoping to get a picture of him in flight so I started to stomp my feet and clap my hands (yes looking rather idiotic!) and he just stood there staring me down with those eery red eyes as if to say, "settle down woman, I am not in the mood to fly!!" And where was Bob all the while? In the car, patiently waiting! I am blessed with the world's most patient husband. Speaking of which, Bob started to wear his progressive glasses today. Things were a bit 'wonky' for him. I kept saying, "you sure you don't want me to drive. I will. I want to!!" :-) Fear not, we got there and home again safely.


This afternoon I went to the pool and finished reading my book. It was about 92 F and so hot then I was in and out of the pool about 3 times just trying to cool off. I am not complaining really! :-)

At one point this lady came to the pool area pushing a walker, she looked at least 90, very frail and thin, with short white hair, a visor covered in silver sequins and big dark sunglasses. So classy. She proceeded to take off her visor and glasses and put on a bright purple swimming cap, went gingerly down the ladder, grabbed her bright orange noodle and then did the backstroke for about a half hour (maybe more).

I was so impressed with her determination to continue to get exercise. I imagined that she was a good swimmer in her younger years. You could see how comfortable, at ease and almost one she was with the water. It made me realize how important it is to continue to get exercise. (something that is lacking in my life presently)

We have decided while we are here to not worry about getting groceries etc but instead to eat at the Hospital. Now for those of you who haven't been here you'd think that is a terrible choice, but truly it is great!!! The food is good and CHEAP! Which works for Bob's scottish tendencies!
The other day we got 2 big salads, and loads of fresh fruit and they charged us 4.95. Yeeehawww!!



One dilemma we are working on is that our silly cell phone doesn't work here. We aren't sure why because it worked in San Fransisco but not this far over. We bought a little pre-paid cellphone but it only allows us to make 3 international calls. Crazy. Oh well. Good thing we have email. We are still trying to finalize working out the details about shipping our car to Roatan. Please pray that would get sorted out quickly.


But we have peace. Really we do. That in itself is a miracle. Life is full of so many changes and this transition has the potential to be so STRESSFUL but it ISN'T!! I am deeply grateful for the re-assurance about this next big step in our lives.

Today I emailed Lisa who is our friend in Roatan to ask about how to dress for the rainy season. I had tried to get information of the net but it was rather vague. So basically the temperatures are in the high 60's, low 70's. Should bring a couple of long pants and shirts. Maybe a jacket (although she never wears one). It can get chilly in the evenings, but even when it rains it is still warm out. That was helpful because I often pack wrong. All wrong. It is sort of my trademark. I admit I have worn alot of Bob's clothes when we go on trips. :-)

Tomorrow we are driving to Fort Myers to spend some time with one of my flickr friends. I am totally excited to meet Rachel and her family. You should check out her photos if you have time. She is very talented and has a wonderful way of showing the everyday life of her adorable children!
Then we are heading to Sanibel to visit with Gary and Susie (our long time friends). We were blown away when they told us that their friends gave them a key to their condo while they were away and we are going to stay there. Right on Bowman Beach. Ahhh some serious shelling lay ahead!!

What a blessing!!! The Lord is taking care of all the details.. we just haven't seen it all unfold yet.


Well as you can see from the next picture, the sun is setting, (that was taken from where I am sitting at the kitchen table). So ends another beautiful day. I trust all is well with you. At times this seems awfully one sided. I do appreciate those of you who have written. If you ever need prayer or anything, please don't hesitate to email us k? We love you and stand with you wherever we are. Distance can't disrupt true love.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there Debi - what's a 'florida room'? Is that like a screened in porch. I know in Hawaii they call them lanai's (sp?). Just reading your description of Florida, the birds, the bugs, the heat I know I was meant to be born south of the border where the sun shines every single day. Where plants we strive to grow in the house, grow wild on the side of the road. Ahh sounds wonderful.
    love ya and miss ya
    xx B xx

    ReplyDelete