Monday, September 8, 2008

Mighty Sequoia's



Yesterday we got up, ate on the road, drove to Santa Cruz to a great MB Church,(which was great and so refreshing!) then headed out to Kings Canyon to see the giant sequoia forest. It was astoundingly beautiful! I drove up and I have never drove on a road like that... very narrow, windy with no guard rails and sheer drops. We drove up 8000 ft!!!! It was breathtaking just to make our way up there! I took some videos of Bob driving down and will post those later. I will have to put a disclaimer though.. not for people who are afraid of heights or who have weak stomachs!!

It was wonderful to hike around! The General Sherman is the earth's largest tree. The tree stands at 275 feet tall, and it's circumfirance at the ground is nearly 103 feet. It's largest branch is almost 7 feet in diameter. Blew me away!!


We had a great time hiking around and enjoying the beauty all around. At one point I was trying to get a closeup of a big pine cone with a sequoia in the background and this squirrel up in the tree kept throwing down green pine cones. At first I thought it was a coicidence but that little chippy was trying to 'take me out!'. I kid you not ... and believe me, those cones flew down at great speed from such a high height. Needless to say I didn't get a good shot!! I kept yelling at the chipmunk... hey you stop that... you are messing with my shot here!! But he wouldn't listen!

So later Bob told me the funniest part of his day was when I walked up to a group of stranger nearby explaining this 'scary dilemma'. What out for that chipmunk over there he is viscious and has deadly cone throwing skill!! I didn't realize he was standing near the fallen tree and he told me later he was tempted to take a video because it truly would have been the funniest thing ever. I am glad he finds me amusing but I was serious!!! A small child wouldn't want to stand under that tree while mr. chippy was in pine throwing fury!! :-)

3 comments:

  1. Oh Debi you quack me up. I can just imagine Bob thinking 'there she goes again'. Tom and the kids are always bugging me, saying "you'll talk to anyone, won't you." My reply is "pretty much, but not as much as my sister Debi"

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA HA! it is a fine art.. the ability to talk to anyone about almost anything!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. You get to meet the most interesting people that way. And other times I just like to watch people and try and figure out what's going on without actually talking to them. Sometimes I even make up my own story line.
    Say "hi you all" to Las Vegas for me
    love ya
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete