Thursday, September 18, 2008

Unencumbered


Free...as a bird.. that is how I am feeling. It is remarkable!
We went to Barefoot Beach today and Bob presented me with this heart shaped rock.
I have been collecting them for years.. but my most favorite ones come from his hand.
So thankful to be loved from above and here on earth.
Blessed.

I can't begin to express how free I am feeling these days. It is almost as if we are living in another sub-culture. It is like we are cheating in the game of life.. not playing by the rules but just living simply, unencumbered, free! It suits us. Some people would get restless and want to get back to the real world and make a living, find a routine, fill up their schedule. But for now, there is an incredible peace about getting up every morning and just letting that day unfold.

One of the highlights for us was meeting Rachel and her family. I met her on flickr and we quickly connected through of common interest in photography and also through our faith in the Lord. We spent the afternoon and the following day together. It seemed so natural to be together, didn't feel strained or ackward. It felt like we had known each other for a very long time. I was thankful that Bob also connected with her husband Gil. They have stolen our hearts in such a short time. Their children are beyond adorable!!!!

Every afternoon there is a build up of clouds and rain and Bob was holding Nora safe and reassuring her. It was such a precious moment and I was thankful to have caught it. I reminded me often of how the Father speaks reassurance in the storm. We are so blessed.



The other day Bob was getting out of the pool and their daughter said, Bob I like you (all mushy like) and then she said, But I don't like your yucky boobies! We almost died laughing.

We have also re-connected with our friends the Sowers. It is always good to see them! They opened their home to us about 16 years ago (on our 10 anniversary). They have a ministry to pastors and missionaries where they welcome them into their home and hearts. It is such a blessing!!!

We took our car into a Nissan dealership to get our A/C fixed. It is unbearable to drive around with it not working properly. I am started just wearing my bathing suit everywhere and keep a light dress available if we go into a store or a restaurant. How is that for island life?? :-)

We have been enjoying the beach. Bob is back shelling full force but I have to admit I have shifted away from shelling and am more inclined to take pictures. They are so many wonderful things to capture!!



Tonight we took Rachel and her kids out for dinner (her husband had to work) and then we went to the beach, but the lightning was so intense and close that we didn't feel safe being so near the water. We ran back to the car and literally got SOAKED!!!



How cool is that??!! Bob wanted that but they wouldn't part with it.


Ollie took this of me and N.P. I love the sweet expression on her face.. she loves so fully that at times it can be almost heartbreaking. We went out for dinner at the Mad Cow and these chairs were outside. The pink was was calling her name!!!



Not sure why this is blurry but they were running due to the rain, and I was running backwards. Lesson #472: Don't take pictures while running... esp. backwards!! :-)


From the rising of the sun to the setting of the same, the Lord's name is to be praised!!!


Tomorrow we are meeting Rachel and her kids again for another beach day. Low tide is about 9:30 so we will be out in good time for that!

One of our challenges: some people really are doubtful about the success of our life change and that can be disheartening. I guess it does seem a little ridiculous what we are doing but we have a peace about it so when the opposition comes (and sadly it does) we simply cast ourselves at His feet. Believing that He has made us with an adventuresome spirit, a willingness to serve people where ever, and that He is the One who will keep us safe, sound in spirit and available to whoever He puts in our path. It is a lifestyle change that may seem like we are 'checking out' of things but in reality it requires us to trust Him ever MORE then ever. He has been faithful all the way and we are assured that He will continue to lead and guide our feet.

Faithful is He who has called you, and He will bring it to pass - 1 Thes. 5

Many of you have been so encouraging and I thank you for that.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Debi - you and Bob are living the life that I have always envisioned for myself. I am so happy for you. I believe the naysayers and sceptics in life are generally an unhappy lot. Even if your journey isn't one they could take themselves, they should at least accept that you are happy without all the finger pointing and wringing of hands. Well that's my opinion anyway.

    You must be thrilled to have connected with Rachel and her family. Another friend to visit in Florida.

    Three more sleeps and you fly out. Whoo hoo you lucky girl. Okay, okay I'm soooo envious!!
    all my love
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there you - I noticed you have your ankle braclet on ... so I am there with you after all.

    luv ya
    xx B xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love my little anklet.
    The shepherd's hook came off the earring but that will be super easy to fix.

    Bonnie, I think of you so often... if you only knew....xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you are ridiculous at all. In fact I envy (oops that's a sin)the simplier life that you are able to become part of. I have no doubt that God will use you greatly in the lives of people in Roatan.
    The last 2 weeks have been rather crazy, Heather has a collapsed lung that wouldn't stay inflated. She's had chest surgery on Tuesday, went to a wedding on the Saturday with a chest tube in and had the lung collapse again today. A friend from Manitoba came to visit and fell on my front step and broke her foot. I've had to trust that God is in control even though it sometimes feels like things are getting out of control. I love your blog and your pictures. It feels like a few minutes of salve for the soul when I sit down to read. God Bless, love, Louise

    ReplyDelete