Sunday, September 21, 2008

Taking a Break from Packing


Hi everyone!

Just thought I would take a break from packing. It is probably one of my least favorite things to do so this is a great excuse...!!! :-)
We are each allowed to take 2 suitcases each weighing 50 lbs. into the country so the tricky part is prioritizing what we will need for the first 3 months that we are there. We will be coming to Florida in December so we can take the rest then. Since we didn't bring a trailer it was just what we fit into the car but once we took out everything we realize that we did bring quite a bit of stuff. On top of the usual stuff we are bringing books, spices, seeds from my garden, my coffee bodem, tools, pictures of family, some larger pictures from home (esp. the one the church gave us as a farewell gift.. thanks again!), music, laptops, dvds, etc etc.

We have been doing some shopping the last couple of days getting things we need like toiletries (it's amazing how we get used to certain brand names isn't it?), shoes, luggage (been going to thrift stores looking for BIG SUITCASES), laptop for Bob, a digital frame so I can have pictures scrolling of all of you whom we love and miss. You know stuff like that!

While Bob shops I take pictures... it works for us because he is a quick shopper and I am not. So this is the best of both for us!!


I am getting some great sales on summer dresses and tops because it is almost 'fall' here. I went to Old Navy and came out with some awesome deals! That is the one thing I have realized since the A/C broke on our car (that is a whole other story which, if time permits, I will write about) that I don't do well in the heat, so even tank tops become soaking wet on me. Not pretty...so I found some thin straps loose fitting tops and I am wayyyy more comfortable in them.

Here is something interesting I learned about being hot. I stresses me out, I get cranky and irritated and all that makes me more HOT! So I am learning to breathe, relax and just not get all worked up and guess what? Truly it helps a lot. It's amazing actually. That is a big lesson in life I think.

We have had our share of challenges lately. The car would be one of them. We took our car to a Nissan dealership in Fort Myers and they weren't able to fix it because they couldn't get a condenser in for us on time. The time we spent on the phone (at Susie and Gary's) on hold waiting to talk to someone at the dealership was ridiculous and frustrating. We are going to see if the dealership in Sebring can fix it tomorrow or Bob may even drive to Tampa if need be. In a Canadian climate A/C isn't really a big deal but here... !! Well let me just say we were the only people driving around Fort Myers with our windows down. :-)

We spent way too much time on that car in my estimation. It made us both realize that we need to continue to trust Him to guide us moment by moment. Our plans seem good but we can waste a lot of time and energy 'working things' out. We have also spent a great deal of time trying to fax stuff to Roatan. It never did work! We ended up scanning it and hopefully they will fax us back.. tomorrow!!! It made us realize that things are going to be different and not as efficient as we are used to.

It was humbling this morning for both of us to come before Him together admitting that we are doing too much 'on our own' instead of following Him. Now you may say ...so what's the big deal with that? Well I will tell you: stress is the big deal!! We experienced unnecessary stress the last couple of days. It's nuts. I love the way Bob put it this morning (I hope I am quoting him right) It should be a joyful thing for us to submit ourselves to such a great God who takes care of things so wonderfully. It's true.

We know better too. Here's my excuse: hot and tired! But seriously I think it is because we are out of our routine and sometimes, although life is simple and easy, it requires us to make split second decisions. Sometimes we pray and ask His direction and sometimes we don't. The car problems are a classic example of what happens when we don't. We spent a lot of time driving back and forth, hounding people for parts, getting frustrated, talking on the phone when we have a dealership right here in Sebring (we found that out today!) and I think things would have gone different had we stopped to 'inquire of the Lord.' Oh I don't think that.. I know that!!! I think living like this requires more faith then ever actually. Today I read in Romans that the "righteous live by faith". The word that popped out to me was LIVE! That speaks of a daily dependence and a sense of surrender to One who is wiser, stronger and more capable then I.

And yet all around us we see such serene and beautiful sights. This was taken just at the end of Gary and Susie's street.


On a lighter note, I had a special thing happen on Sanibel Island. I found a Junonia. Now if you aren't a sheller that may not seem like a big deal but for anyone who searches for Florida shells that is the cream of the crop. They are extremely rare and hard to find. In fact, those who find one get their picture in the paper (which I did!!!)


We went to beach #4 at low tide. It was a beautiful morning with a lovely breeze off the ocean. We met Rachel and her kids there so I was just strolling through a tide pool with her, taking pictures and getting shells for her. I thought I saw a tulip shell and reached into the water to get it and was thrilled to see it was a Junonia! I screamed!! I squealed with delight!!

For years, we have come down here hoping to find one. I had actually prayed many times that Bob would find one and that day I was not even looking and voila there it was!! It was slightly worn and a bit green but still not broken at all. I think it must have been buried for sometime. Good ol' Hurricane Ike really stirred things up along the Gulf Coast in a good way!! :)

Here is Bob in a tide pool. As the tide goes out these little pools are created and shells get trapped in them. It is the best way to shell in my estimation!


And yes, I went to the local paper and they took my picture!!

We had such a wonderful time visiting with our friends. Aside from dealing with the car and trying to get things faxed, I think that may have been our best trip to Sanibel ever!!


It is one of my most favorite places on earth. The beaches are just covered in shells! It is a shellers paradise, plus the vegetation is so lush, the pelicans, ibis, cranes fly free, the flowers are gorgeous and the pace is slow once you get on any beach.

So onward we go, seeking Him more each day. Trust the same is with you my friend.... xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Junonia!?! That is SO AWESOME. I'm totally jealous I wasn't there to see it. It's about time, I'd say. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya.. how cool is that eh??! I was pretty excited.. to put it mildly!

    ReplyDelete