Tuesday, August 26, 2008

WHY ROATAN?

That is the big question.. why go to Roatan.
It is interesting the way things unfold. We never dreamed that we would be moving to the Caribbean.. especially pre-retirement but life has never been typical for us so.. onward we journey.

We had visited the island a few times and really fell in love with the slow pace, and the people. It is just such a different way of life there. We bought into a time share a couple of years ago and enjoyed going down. The last time Bob was there with Matt (in March) he just said that he was so burdened for the people. After much prayer, counsel, and more prayer we felt God leading us to move there to see what we could do to help the people on the island. They have many needs: clean water being one, there is an orphanage there and I hope to get involved in loving the kids. Most importantly they need HIM!
Bob will also be doing a bit of property management on the side.

I look forward to a slower pace where people aren't in such a hurry, they have time for long talks over coffee and the simple life isn't a concept.

There are basically 3 types of people on the island: the locals, the white people who have moved there, and the tourists. I can't wait to get to know all three!!

Here is a cool God story. I am turning 50 on October 1st and I was a bit disappointed that I wouldn't be here in Canada to celebrate with GUSTO, but I just let it go. A couple of days ago Bob was talking to our friend Lisa and she asked when we'd be coming to the Island. We said we'd be arriving on the 23rd of September. She was so excited and said, Oh good well then you can come to my birthday party on the 25th. I am having a sock hop!! Bob said, Oh great that will be fun. So your birthday is on the 25th eh? She told him that she was having her birthday party early because friends were down visiting but her birthday is on October 1st!! Can you believe that??! She laughed, and said, ahh no wonder I like Debi so much!! So I will get to have a big party after all!! Who knew? HE did! :-) He cares about the big and little details of our life.

It is exciting to follow Him. We will keep you posted. Anyways, I have lots more to do around here so that is it for now. We are leaving on Friday. Can't wait to see the kids in Victoria!!

4 comments:

  1. A sock hop! Poodle skirts, ankle socks, penny loafers, neck scarfs ... What a wonderful way to celebrate your birthday and the perfect way to start your life in Roatan. God is so creative.

    Hey, with your new haircut you could go as Joanie Cunningham.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could go as Joanie couldn't I? I need to go to Valu Village and get a nice scarf. ha! as if I'd have time to do that.. maybe I will get one in Florida somewhere... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to some kind of organized youth event when I was in grade 7 or 8. It was held in the gym of Marks Street School on friday evenings and I think Lynn Ivall organized them. Anyway, one of them was a sock hop and there were all kinds of games we had to play. Like, passing a lifesaver back and forth between straws held in your mouth and without using hands. Of course it was a boy/girl thing and the straw kept getting shorter and shorter until you were almost kissing as you tried to pass it. Very uncomfortable for me. I don't think I went back again after that. :) I was so shy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh man...i wanna go!!! sounds like He is working in all the ways for you!

    ReplyDelete