Monday, October 5, 2009

under the sea/above the sea.... :-)


every sunday afternoon we go to west bay to visit with friends and go for a snorkel. i found this picture on the internet to show you where we actually snorkel. all that looks like 'land' is actually coral. we usually go out to the left of the dock, go over the light blue patch (sandy bottom) and then through a narrow channel which leads us out to the deeper area. the narrow channnel is "full" of fish swimming through the coral, eating off it and it is my favorite part of the whole snorkel. it is simply amazing. i can't wait til we get our underwater camera fixed in order to take some photos of the beauty under the sea.

in the meantime here are some pictures that I took off the internet to show you the 'other world' that we so enjoy!! the last time we went out I was practicing diving down. Bob can go down 35 feet free diving which is so awesome. I can't seem to do it. I am happy if I manage to get down 6 to 8 feet. I seem to run out of air, or panic thinking I will run out of air. When Matt was here he dove down over 50 feet.. his lung capacity was astounding!!!



if you click on this photo it will enlarge the photos

top row: squirrel fish, bone fish (these swim in the shallow water) parrot fish
middle row: sargeant majors (these are sooo plentiful. they follow us around almost the whole time), some beautiful coral, a baby angel fish
bottom row: trunk fish, bluehead wrasse, sea turtle (one of our favorite things to find)

Bob has been extremely busy with the "made in roatan" shop. The windows are in, it has been stained, the trim is going on, we are waiting for the door to be made. We want to get photos and provide a biography of each person that will be having their art in the shop. This afternoon we went to visit Yourgin and his family to hear his story and take some pictures. Little by little it is all getting done. We were expecting to have help from a team to build it but they didn't come to Roatan due to the political upheaval on the Mainland so we are thankful for everyone who has been willing to help out.

i love this photo of Bob so much. He didn't know I had taken this. It captures the essence of a man who is at ease... we were waiting for our friends but he isn't stressed out, just patiently waiting. I thank God for his patience....

I have been busy at the clinic volunteering. I am getting the hang of it there and have been working in pharmacy. Tomorrow I am going to be speaking at the woman's breakfast in French Harbour. I am looking forward to it as I love to speak about the truths in His Word. I have been taking a bit of a break from flickr as the commitment and time it took to photograph daily and comment on photos was just taking up too much of my time but I do still get out there to take photos.



The other morning I woke up at 5:00 am and as I walked in the kitchen to get some water I saw the most amazing full moon. Needless to say, I didn't go right back to bed right away until I had taken a photo of the moon.! I didn't have time to set up my tripod (the moon drops quickly into the horizon just like the sun) so I managed to hold my camera against a post on the deck. The terrible part was that bats, yes bats, were flying all around me... was very challenging to not freak out. I was happy with the picture of the moon.. isn't it incredible. I find it interesting that the moon just reflects the sun. How like us.. we aren't so special or great but are simply called to reflect the Son who really gets the glory.




When we got home this afternoon I could see the sky was a blaze of color. I went out on the deck to take a photo but I realized that the trees were blocking the display so I went down to the beach and got this photo. How is that for a backyard??!!


truly the sky declares the glory of God

5 comments:

  1. great pictures Debi - i can't believe you can actually see all those colorful fish - they seem like magazine material only. One day soon, hopefully I will be looking at them with you.
    all my love
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your comment about the moon reflecting the sun, and how we are to reflect the Son. I needed that today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This week, I have been pointing out the full moon to Isabelle and explaining that the moon is actually the reflection of the sun and that's what we are supposed to be with Jesus reflecting through us... and now every time she sees the moon, she cries out "Mommy! See the moon? Just like Jesus and me!"
    The picture of the moon you took reminded me of that.
    And just let me say for the record, that I am insanely jealous that you get to swim in such beautiful waters!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. krystal, you just never know where you will end up in life. we are very grateful for the opportunity to be living here and helping the people. we did have the dream sown into our hearts years ago, just never thought it would happen to us but we did. i have a real fear of the water so the fact that I can see those fish and beautiful things is a miracle to me too. Good to overcome fears!! :-)

    Keep being like the moon... just a reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yourgin, is that the person that I know, I did not know that is the way he spells his name I thought it was Jergen. Anyhow, I hope Brandie and he are doing well, with the boys. I love reading your blog, I really miss it there, never enough time when I am there.

    Some of my friends are going down there the end of the month to work on SBLM home.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete