Thursday, October 15, 2009

Lunch Out


I want to share a different kind of lunch experience.
We know a lady who goes to our church who has a little restaurant in Coxen Hole so since we were out running errands Bob said, "let's go to Lola's for lunch"

So we walked down a tiny alley, to the end and walked into her tiny little shop. There are a few tables inside, the windows and doors are all open hoping for a breeze to enter in. The windows were barred with no screens so although no breeze found it's way in the flies did.

Lola was pleased to see us. After the customary kissing on the cheek and light hug, and 'how is your family?' I asked what is for lunch?

Here is the conversation:

"I got no food left"
"What? Nothing left at all?"
"Well I gots some oxtail, you want dat?"

Now I need to say that I have had oxtail before and if I have a choice it really isn't my favorite thing to eat.. so I said:

"Um no thanks Lola"
"Well I got some soup"
"What kinda soup you got?"

Then she told me a typical island soup (i can't remember what it is called) but it has tough beef in it and veggies.

So I shook my head.
Then she said, "Debi come back here"

So I go back into the kitchen. Yes she takes me back into her tiny little kitchen and there I stand perusing "lunch" I see a big pan with 3 pieces of chicken, a small pan with plaintain and a pot with a bit of rice and beans. I smile. That is what I was looking for.

"Lola what about some chicken, plaintain, and rice and beans"
"Nah, that ain't enough for you and Bob for lunch"
"Yes it is.. we don't eat alot"

She shakes her head in disbelief. I say.. really .. it's okay.

So she gives me two pieces of chicken and Bob gets a huge chicken breast and 4 pieces of pork (not sure where she got that from!) She adds some rice and beans, some plaintain and some cole slaw. It is like a feast!! Nothing to eat??! HA!

It was good.
And it was about 8 dollars for both of us including a gatorade and a juice. Can't beat that!!

Oh by the way, Bob couldn't eat everything and brought back the huge chicken breast which I will put in our salad for lunch today!!! :-)

that is Lola standing beside me. taken last June when we were singing at a conference together.

No comments:

Post a Comment