Wednesday, October 7, 2009

People matter (or Bob's alternative title: make love not war!)

follow me, I'm not lost


Yesterday I went to the clinic to volunteer again and Miss Peggy mentioned that they had blankets and pillows to distribute (given from the Cruise Ship Line) and wondered if I'd like to take some to give out to people we know. Definitely! It was fortunate that Bob came by around that time because we were able to load up our car.

We went home for lunch and as we were sitting out on the deck I saw our gardener (not that we hired him.. the people who own this house that we are renting from hire him) out working. He is so poor and is here on Roatan supporting his family who are still living on the Mainland. I decided to take him to the car to get some pillows for his family. He has 5 in family but he only took 3 pillows and 3 blankets. I said, No take five. But he wouldn't. Later when he was putting them in a box to send to his family he looked at me and said with tears in his eyes, "Gloria a Dios!!" That means glory to God. He was choked up and so grateful. I stood there with him in the yard with tears rolling down my cheeks thanking God for this simple provision. The needs are so great here but the people are so grateful! Think about this next time you go shoppping... just stop in the aisle and say "glory to God".. we have soooooo much to be thankful for!

Amen.

We took the rest of the pillows and blankets to an area of the island that is really needy called Hottest Sparrow. There are many colonia's (poor areas) here but alot gringos are providing to them but it seems that not many make it out to Hottest Sparrow so it is always a joy to go and give to them. In fact not many people here even know where that area is. Several of our island friends have family up there and that how we discovered that little area.
Bob with a few people at the school

We also had some school supplies so we went to the school but unfortunately no one was there in the afternoon. Siesta!! But this sweet boy said he would show us where the maestra lived. He was on his bike and rode ahead of us along a dusty dirt road. I was surprised and overjoyed to see how much this part of Roatan reminds me of Africa.. the dirt roads, the red dirt, the small simple like homes/huts, the cows on the road. It is a wonderful part of the island.



Anyways, we had stopped at the lady's house who has 11 children (I have blogged about her before) and she was delighted to see us again. Her children are as dirty as usual but they looked healthier then before. They have coming into the clinic quite regularly. Our spanish is still pretty limited but we get by. We were grateful that a young island boy was there to translate for us. We told him that we needed to see the teacher and he said he lives nearby him. "just down the road and over the hill" haha.. okay! We thought the best way to do it was to give him a ride. The car was literally overflowing with boxes but he and his brother managed to squeeze inside. They go to school in Mud Hole and have to walk over an hour each day! Can you imagine.... walking in the hot sun??! Needless to say they were thrilled to get a ride!! Their other brother drove by on a bicycle and they waved so enthusiastically as if to say "Look at us in the gringos car!!"

oh happy day!!

The people were so grateful that we would drive all the way so they could have new pillows and blankets! It isn't that far (takes about half hour) but the road is bad and not many people find themselves out that way.

We left with an empty car and a full heart!

Next we went to the cruise ship dock to see our friend Luma. He is an artist here on the island who is going to be putting some of his work in the new "Made in Roatan" shop.


Bob came up with the idea to have a write up and picture beside each artist so we could highlight them. We had a great time listening to his story and taking photos. At one point there was a gentleman from the cruise ship who stopped to look at this work. I told him what we were doing. He thought it was wonderful but didn't buy anything. Within a short time though he came back with his wife and they ended up buying 5 little paintings of fish!! Luma was thrilled as he hadn't sold anything that day. At the same time another couple came up and I introduced them to Luma as ' a local artist' on the island and they also bought two of his paintings. When they left Luma was so overjoyed that he cried. It is hard to explain but these people live pretty much day to day. If he makes money he eats, if not then.. he doesn't. So that was a very good afternoon for him. That is why we are so interested in getting our Made in Roatan shop up and running because it really will help local people here on the island.


the "MADE IN ROATAN" shop.. almost done!
just waiting for the door to be built!
sorry it is such a weird angle but it was cruise ship day yesterday and lots of traffic so I couldn't stand on the middle of the road.

We visited with two more people who are going to be have their work in the shop. Visiting takes time on the island but that is one thing that we want to have. I enjoy volunteering and helping out but I want to make sure that I always have time set aside to 'just be with people'. They are so friendly and relational. They love to chat and visit. I believe that the time we have invested into listening, caring and praying for them is the best work that we have done. We went to see Ivis, a lady who sews beautiful beach cover ups and dresses here. She has become a dear friend of mine and we had a wonderful time visiting with her. As we were leaving I saw a skirt that I wanted to buy and she wouldn't let me pay for it. I tried! She kept saying "No you are my friend. No money. You are my friend." I really tried. But she wouldn't take my money. She said she got enough money from the tourists she didn't want mine. So generous. It blows me away. I need to think of some other way of helping her. Taking over some fruit (she makes the best fruit smoothies) or some food. I know she needs that money but she wouldn't dream of taking it from me.

Please keep remembering these people in your prayers. Times are hard on the island. It is a slow time for the next month or so with not many tourists coming. I know of several resorts that have shut down til Christmas and many restaurants aren't open either. That means that alot of the local people don't have any work for the next couple of months. But God does take care of them.. He does. They live so simply, so beautifully .... like the birds of the air.. God takes care of them.. how much will He take care of you.


Since we both had been out since 8 am and it was now dark and dinner time we decided to stop at the Oasis for a light dinner. I was thrilled to see they had 'canadian poutine' on the menu! What a treat. I love poutine! It was a perfect way to end the day for me! I always think of my Mom when I have fries and gravy. It was one of her favorite 'snacks' when we were out shopping. I miss my Mom so much but I realized today as I was out and about loving people, laughing, engaging with them that I have been blessed with my Mom's 'young at heart' character.

If you have someone near you that you appreciate and love. Tell them that today. They deserve to know that! :-)



pssst... I love and appreciate YOU! xo

No comments:

Post a Comment