Saturday, October 25, 2008

You just never know


Don't you find that sometimes you get up in the morning and you have no idea the way the day will unfold. Circumstances unfold, good and bad, and you just go to bed at the end of the day and think...wow... who would have thought???

Even just the simplest things happen for a reason I believe. Last week we were in the bank and since I had a sore back (bad bed!!) I was sitting down. I saw an island lady sitting down as well so I plopped myself down and we had such a wonderful chat together. It turned out that although she is from Roatan and was raised here, that she and her Canadian husband lived in North Van, Nanaino and Chilliwack. We enjoyed our visit together learning about each other very much. Before she left we exchanged phone numbers and she said, "Drop by sometime" and she explained where she lived. One thing about Roatan is there are no street addresses so you have to find landmarks and then explain it from there. I told her that I am the kind of person that if I get an invite to drop by that I will, and she laughed and said, "well I sure hope so"
That is the island way.



So yesterday, we were out scouting around looking at rental places and as we were driving along I suggested we stop in and see them. I found their place easily enough and her husband was just leaving. I thought maybe it wasn't a good time to visit but he said that Marilyn was at the other house they were building and told us to head over. We did. I am so glad we did. We had such a great visit! They are funny, friendly, generous and we shared many things in common. The one main thing is her passion for flowers

Her gardens are astounding!! They actually made a park on their property and I was overwhelmed to see such beauty! But we were not prepared for the view at the front of their place. We were speechless!! (yes even me!)



WOW! We were amazed at how wonderful it is up there! The breeze is fantastic.. so fresh and lovely up there! We stayed for a few hours together, visiting in the house and exchanging stories. It was a memorable afternoon.


It turns out that they have property for sale up there. But they are very selective who they sell to. Right now, only their family and two other families live up there. Basically they said, if we like you then we will help you. We will talk. We hope they like us!! :-)



I am going back to visit and help her in her garden. I was surprised to see some Canadian flowers growing in there and she was thrilled to hear I brought some seeds from my garden. So I am going back with seeds in hand.

So what started with a brief visit in the bank, led to an afternoon of sheer delight together, which will lead to a friendship and who knows.. we may buy land up there. It would be a dream come true for us for sure.

Please pray for us. We aren't rushing into buying anything because we think the prices will go down with the state of the economy. We need wisdom in this and are trusting Him to show us what to do. One thing Bob and I always consider is 'where' we are to live. It isn't about the house or the property but the neighbors He put around us to love and get to know. Some of you reading this have been our neighbors and you know the blessing of sharing life together. In our culture we often live isolated lives but I believe that we have a sphere of influence and we should in very in tune with those He has placed around us.

"Do not merely look out for your own personal interests but look OUT for the interests of others."
Phil 2:4

Well it is almost time for God's evening show so I best go out and catch the sunset!! He makes one everyday and everyday it is different. How creative is that??! Keep looking UP and OUT.



Blessings... xoxo

3 comments:

  1. Hey - guess what.... I found that rental house on google earth. That swimming pool sticks out like a sore thumb. Is that the same neighbourhood that Marilyn lives in? Sweet little tip of the island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. no it isn't the same area at all. the rental house is west bay and marilyn's is in sandy bay (which is the area we love)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this picture of you both :-)

    warms my heart about your day - it's all so meant to be, yes?

    much love to you...xo dani

    ReplyDelete