Sunday, October 5, 2008

A Rainy Day

The following pictures were taken either while walking to Que Tal to use their internet connection or at Lisa's during a rain storm. It is nice to walk because, well, the exercise is great and for me, I see so much more then zipping by in a car.

I said to Bob when I saw this, "If we ever get our own place here I would love to grow this ... it reminds me of His love." It is interesting because ever since coming here I have been closer to Him then I have for years. I am not sure the reason for that. It could partly be that I am not distracted, too busy for Him, or maybe it could be that although many of you think that living on an island is pure paradise it causes us to rely on Him more then ever.Many gringos have questioned why we'd come to the island at the rainy season. Mostly it is because our home sold in one day and that changed everything for us. We hadn't planned originally to come so soon, but truth be told: I love the rainy season! It cools things down and it isn't like it rained all the time. You just need to be prepared to get wet, but it's a warm rain so it isn't that bad. It can be 'heavy' though... so I am learning to be okay with being drenched or carry an umbrella. Yeah, a couple of island essentials for my bag: bug spray, an umbrella, water, and a flashnight in case we are out late (they don't have street lights here so even just walking up to our place is tricky)
I don't know what this is but every time I see it something in my heart stops! Isn't it sooo beautiful??!
Okay here is a wee taste of what our season looks like now! Mind you that rain lasted for about 10 minutes and the following picture was taken after the rain stopped.
The rain came heavy for about 10 minutes, soaked the earth (and many people too) and then the sun came out. I saw these two men walking along with garbage bags on for rain jacket! Pretty ingenius!

I want a hammock so badly. We have hooks on our deck and as well there are hooks on the dock. I am planning on getting a heavier weave then that though so that the mosquitoes can't get me from behind. Literally!!

Back to the rainy season though, it isn't just about rain. It is an opportunity to cleanse the island. That is why the air is so fresh lately! And the plants are loving it!

I have a orchid growing out front and I can't wait to see that bloom. Even just since we got here I am noticing it's growth. I used to grow orchids are home and I am watching it for growth, and buds. I actually can't believe that I have one growing right outside our door!!! I shouldn't be surprised. It is just one of God's many special little blessings.

I am seeing so many beautiful autumn photos on flickr. Well here is my contribution to Fall in the Caribbean. These leaves are HUGE! About a foot in diameter!!

Yesterday we spent alot of our day with Patricia and Ron (our neighbors). We had gone over around 11:30 to invite them for lunch but they beat us to it and invited us for Honduran breakfast. We had fried plantain, refried beans, scrambled eggs, fried tortilla chips, and cheese.
It was delicious. We also went shopping together and it was great to have Patricia there (she is from the mainland) to help me know what to buy!! What a blessing!! Once we were back home again we able to help them move their broken fridge in and replace it with another one. Oh did I say 'we'??? I meant to say BOB! :-)


So ends another day! Cloudy, yes, rainy yes, beautiful yes!

1 comment:

  1. Good morning my little island girl - wow that picture of the downpour could almost pass for a snow storm. Tropical rain is so different isn't it. The air is warm and filled with a clean, sweet smell. It makes things grow sooo quickly.

    I was out for awhile yesterday afternoon. It was raining and very windy, but it was also the first day that I truely felt the cold, to the point where I wished I had gloves. The rain here has that bitting edge that goes right thru you. I could have caught a bus home, but decided I needed the exercise and besides I really warmed up as I picked up speed. I passed this big old chestnut tree and the ground was covered in chestnuts. I'm like a kid when it comes to kicking things along as I walk, and those chestnuts can really travel when you boot them. It would have been so much more fun if you had been there - we could have had a contest. Missing you muchly as always..
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete