Saturday, October 18, 2008

A word from Bob

How to Navigate a “situation” on Roatan
It seemed simply enough...a sunny warm Monday morning...go to the lawyer and start the process of applying for ‘residency’, a necessary step if you don’t want to be required to leave the Island every three months ($122US for us to leave, plus $480 for return flights to Belize, or $1200 return to Florida). So, off to French Harbour, a small town 15 km up island to meet our new lawyer Christiana. The trip there was delightful, enjoying the mobility of our little fuel efficient Nissan Versa...dodging potholes, taxis, dogs and people on the road having various conversations...impervious to the traffic rushing by!
Just as I arrived, it started to rain...no, pour...no, more of a DELUGE!! Up the stairs I raced to get under the cover of a two storey American style tiled outdoor wrap around deck. Searching for her office took me around the corner to the north side...and let me say...rain does not always drop straight down here! The tiles were so slick that I was forced to grab whatever I could of the stuccoed wall...One office, two, third was an apartment, fourth empty...end of the line...no, around the next corner, more slippery tile and three more vacant rooms. Not to be dissuaded, I boldly rounded the next corner to the back of the building where typically the garbage, chickens and mean dogs reside...and there it was...a lawyer shingle hanging outside a small apartment room, with a desk set up in the corner, and a bright young Islander diligently working her trade!
I jump ahead. Christiana has given me a very clear and direct path to obtain the ‘residency’. I have purchased cookies from Eldon’s (the largest of three “American” grocery stores on Roatan) and am beginning to head home, encouraged, and ready to relate all my news to my dear Debi...Hmmm, why is traffic stopped ahead...very unusual since taxi’s stop for NOTHING! Hmmm, why are all those people blocking the roadway at the RECO electric company entrance? I wait...I can be patient...yes, I am a patient man...I have air conditioning...I can take a few minutes to enjoy praying for some people.
20 minutes pass...after 1 pm...break open the bag and eat a few cookies...turn off the car...begin to BAKE in the heat after the downpour stops...20 minutes pass...people walking everywhere...young boys begin selling ‘lunches’ to drivers...I boldly roll down my window to speak to a National Guard...”How long?”...”No ingles”...OK...point to watch...practice new words...”Hoy?” (today?)...”Manana?” (tomorrow?)...ahh...”Uno hora” (one hour). Window up...A/C on...I can do this...more cookies...car on and off...smile at people...get out and lock the car...mill around like everyone else...angry mob blocking the street further piling up old washing machines and bikes and shouting and tree trunks, and...this will not end in one hour my friend!
Back in car...A/C on...suddenly someone wraps really hard on my side window...recalling my fighting skills and a rapid prayer of faith, I turn my head and...it’s my friend Karlee from Roatan Air Service! “Hola meester Bob!...They are protesting the jump in their electric bills...this will go on until 5 pm or maybe all night!” “Come to my office and sit for a while.” Another hour later, after a wonderful conversation with Karlee, and two US Business Today newspapers...I spy an Island map...I love maps...HEY...what about that back road on the other side of the Island! “Hey Karlee...Does the Mud Hole road start on this side of the blockade?” “Yes, just up the road past Bojangles Chicken.” Hmmm, how about a little adventure, I ask myself. Worst case scenario they’ve blocked that road too, and I turn around and come back.
As I turn onto this “Island” road I notice three things...one...almost straight up...two...surface is red mud, quite wet from the recent deluge, and three...large rock shelves protruding upward alongside deep ruts protruding downward...My heart speeds up, but...can’t get any worse, right?...If I can just make it up the 200 metre spine of the Island, the rest should be a breeze...the front wheel drive begins to spin...down into first gear...the wheels catch and I successfully dodge an 18 inch deep hole and make it up the first incline...heart racing...feeling slightly confident, yet nervous about what lies ahead (imagine 4 wheeling with an automatic Verse 6 inches off the ground)....a narrow piece, and three SUV’s coming fast the other way splashing red mud everywhere, and not slowing down...a patch of grass...I veer off...they pass...heart rate still elevated...on I go. The rest is rather indescribable. The uphills, filled with jagged rocks and loose red clay...the downhills laced with washed out 2 foot depressions, sometimes sliding sideways with eyes closed...but somehow...an hour and a half, and only 10 km later, God and I defeated that muddy washed out terrain and....for the first time (if you can believe it) I scraped the bottom of the car...as I climbed onto the pavement!
Just another day in paradise!!!

a note from Debi:

I called Bob on the cell phone while he was waiting at the blockade. At that point he was hopeful that he'd get through in a hour (haha!) but here is the interesting point. The whole rest of the afternoon I was prompted to pray for him..... and once he got home I knew why. I didn't realize the stress and danger he was facing driving on that washed out road but GOD KNEW!! How amazing is that?! Whatever you are facing today or in the days to come .... rest assured He knows and whether you realize it or not He will prompt others to pray for you. That just warms my heart.

Even yesterday I said to Bob... honey there must be alot of people praying for us because daily we are experiencing His peace. Daily. It's wonderful. Thanks for standing with us!

5 comments:

  1. Oh Bob - oh my, what a heart stopping, stomach lurching experience that must have been for you, but I'm sorry, your narrative just cracked me up. I'm glad you came out the other end in one piece. Ya need a big old truck and a dog and you could transport that scene to the back roads in Atikokan.
    luv ya
    xx B xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya bonnie i don't think bob is going to try that again.. at least not in the rainy season!!! what an adventurous fellow eh??!
    loved the bit about being like atikokan!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob sorry man but that is retarded. I mean if you are going to do something like that next time get a video of it so you can sell it to Nissan so that they can use it for the new off-road Versa sales campaign.... Bri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Bobby
    Wish I could have been on that road trip with you. Glad you made it home in one piece.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob and Debi,
    Just read your horrendous trip through the mud, wow, you need a 4x4.

    What are some of your projects Bob and D.Please tell us how your projects etc. can fit into a "missions / outreach" program in getting the gospel to the people? We'd like to know in the missions cmtee. Bless you both, Henry F.

    ReplyDelete