Monday, October 6, 2008

Sunday and Monday




I had met alot of wonderful women at the Bible Study last Thursday and one of them offered to drive us to church out at the Parrot Tree Resort. Pretty posh eh?

The group that meets there focuses on ex-patriots (people who have chosen to live on the island from other countries. There are people here from Canada, the States, Germany and Italy) We had a real blessed time with them! They meet at this lovely resort in a large conference room (free rent) and the service was very similar to what we are used to.

After the service we order lunch from the cafe there and we had some really good fellowship with people. We are trying to discern where the Lord would have us regularly attend. The Pastor who spoke this week talked about Passion. He said we all have passion, the things that float our boat, and get us excited! In order for that passion to be truly effective though we need to put all our gifts and talents at His feet and allow Him to lead us to people and places that need Him. Needless to say, I amened that!! :-)

It so true. We recognize that we are in a unique phase of life here. We aren't working yet, (hopefully that will happen soon once we get our residency papers under way) and so we are flexible and able to do whatever He brings across our path. It's interesting both of us are slowing down. I find in our culture there is such a thrust to 'get things done' but here it doesn't seem to matter as much. Well I guess it matters but it is on a different time schedule.

We are grateful for the time we have to be together and as well spend time getting to know people on the island.

I have mentioned our neighbors Patricia and Ron, while let me say it again: we are so thankful for them!! They are so kind to us. I have a confession. I had a phobia about starting our propane stove. Firstly I didn't know HOW to plug the thing in. Then I didn't know how to actually get it going. We tried everything but it wouldn't go. So off I go over to Patricia. She just laughs at us. Now I am a pro at it!! It isn't easy to be humble. She also has helped me to know how to cook 'honduran' style and believe me it is alot cheaper!! They are going to take us to the market to buy beans from a man who sells them very inexpensively! Okay imagine this:
1. You buy a bag of beans
2. You go home, empty the bag on the table.
3. You pick out any rocks or sticks (this is 3rd world folks)
4. You rinse them well.
5. You cook them for a couple of hours.
6. You make re-fried beans.
7. You enjoy them for a few days!! YUM!

Apparently the beans in the bags in the stores are too old and they take hours/days to cook and then they are still tough. These are fresh and delicious.

A wonderful tradition here: around 4;00 we troddle to the end of the dock, swim, snorkel and wait for the sun to set. Whoever is here meets at the dock.


It is a wonderful way to end a day. We talk about our days together. The things we did. Our struggles, and our moments of joy.
Imagine if everyday, your neighbors congregated in someone's yard and you ended the day together watching a sunset. It is one of the many things that I love here!!


Another milestone for me: I snorkelled today. That may seem like nothing but I have a serious gag reflex, and I can't swim so usually I avoid the whole thing. Well this morning it was calm at the dock, no one was out there, so I decided to give it a whirl. I wasn't out for long. Just swam a bit around the dock. Didn't go to the reef. But it's a start. Saw a huge seastar!! WOW eh??




Ahh yes.. good news!! Today I got a hammock from Tony (our property manager guy).. actually we got two!! Bob and I went out on the dock and swung in the sea wind talking and relaxing. Bob saw a huge flying fish. I missed it.'

Tomorrow is a big day. It is the day we get our car from the shipping dock. We are basically asking for a miracle! Those of you who know the reality of a God who still can part the waters, and/or walk on them we are trusting that He will grant us favor and we won't have to pay ridiculous duty on our car. Everyone pays duty but sometimes the gringo's pay more. We can't afford to be a gringo here!! :-) The other option is to get a three month tourist pass. We will see. Thanks so much for standing with us in this matter!!



We are so excited about having a car on the island! We have been blessed with people who have driven us around and good taxi drivers but it will be great to tool around (I think that is a northern ontario term) in our own car!!

Anyways, Lisa is here to play games so I best go!

xox

No comments:

Post a Comment