Monday, October 13, 2008

A little about DOGS!!

Okay those of you who know me well would feel it is safe to say I am a dog lover. It's true. I will walk up to strangers just to pet their dog and have a nice 'chat' with it. Even as a little girl I used to take my skipping rope, tie it around the neck of a dog and say, 'But Mom, can I keep it .. it followed me home!!'. She gave me a little tip: a dog license means it belongs to someone.

I am not afraid of dogs. I remember my sister Kathy didn't like to walk to school with me because there were always dogs around me (and she didn't like that!) I seem to speak their language..dog-ese!! :-)

Okay having said that... I need to say that the dogs on this island are different! They are used as guard dogs to discourage theives, and even though I like them, and speak their language (actually I can't speak Spanish.. they may be part of the problem!) they don't like me!!! Man, what an adjustment is that!! I speak nicely and they snarl, and nip at me!! WHAT???! I have had two different dogs threaten to attack me. I have learned that the trick is to throw something at them. Or at least pretend to. You can see from the photo of the dog barking at the little blue crab that the smallest things can tick them off!



Now having said that I need to say that we have some very nice dogs here at SeaDancer. They are people friendly (well at least to us). I know that if someone they don't know comes on the property there is alot of loud barking. Pepsi is one dog that I have fallen in love with.
I had said to Bob then when we get to the island that I want a dog, well Pepsi belongs to our neighbor and he has kind of adopted us. He sleeps on our porch and comes to visit many times a day. He walks out to the dock with me too. He is my little blessing!!


The other dog on the dock is Hondo and he is quite nice but he has charged me several times. That is Ron and Patti on the dock in the late evening fishing.




Panda is the sweetest little guy. He is the new addition to the dogs here (belongs to Patti and Ron) and we just love him to bits. He is very smart and responsive. He loves to go for walks and play with the other bigger
dogs.

The one thing that dogs like to do here is to 'charge' you. That is the only way to describe it.. they just barrel up to you barking. Even our neighbors dogs will do that to me but once I call their names they settle down.

I don't know if and when we will ever get a dog here, but it will be a bit of an adjustment because most dogs are considered guard dogs, can be aggressive and fight with other dogs.

Having said that let me end off with a picture of Major. This is Lisa's dog and he is a sweetie. She keeps him fenced in or inside...he'd be eaten alive for sure if he was running lose.

Seriously, we found a dead dog on the beach yesterday (actually I didn't go look at it) and they suspect it was from a dog fight. These dogs (our dogs here) have recently killed a cat. UGH..just another adjustment as we journey onward with the 'way things are' on the island.

Be kind to your pets... wouldn't want them to go 'island' on ya!! :-)

2 comments:

  1. I consider myself a dog person as well. I will talk to anyone that has a doggie- or should I say I will approach the owner with the purpose of being able to talk to the doggie. It's quite disheartening when you realize that not all dogs can be won over with a soft voice and a nice scratch on the chin. What bothers me even more is the fact that 'guard dogs' are mis-treated on purpose - makes them vicious and aggressive. Awhile ago I had to pass this used car lot on my way to work and there were 2 huge guard dogs there. Scared the crap out of me the first time they lunged at the chainlink fence. But everyday I would stop and talk to them.I started bringing doggie biscuits and gradually one of them would gently take it thru the fence. The other one never did, but he didn't bark either. The lot was always closed at that time of the morning, so the owner never saw me do it. These poor dogs were caged in a small pen during the day, no protection from the weather - it tore my heart out. I wonder how you say "would ya like a treat" in spanish... doggie treats might be the answer
    lov ya

    ReplyDelete
  2. *makes mental note* "ask Patti how to say "do you want a treat" in Spanish!! Thanks Bonnie .. I hadn't thought about treats. As long as they are ok to stop at one and don't lunge at me when the treats stop... lol

    ReplyDelete