Monday, January 4, 2010

visitin' left right and centre!



One thing I love about Roatan is that it isn't uncommon to just 'drop in' or have people drop in.
On New Years Day Marco, our neighbor had a cruise ship tour and he brought a Canadian family over for a visit.  After all, they are Canadian and so are we!!!   :-)   It was Liliana's birthday so we had cheesecake and coffee out on the deck.   We had such a wonderful visit with them!   I love Canadians ..  I do.  I admit.  I am a bit partial!  :-)


We decided to take them snorkeling at West Bay and it was great to be in the water again.  It was my first time since my surgery and it felt great!!!   The water was very clear and we saw alot of fish.  We went to the wall and Bob saw a turtle ,about 50 ft down and he went down to rouse it up to the surface but it was happily feeding off the coral and wouldn't budge.   Elka and Jillian were thrilled to see so many wonderful fish though!  They kept lifting their head to say.. 'wow this is really amazing/beautiful/awesome/fantastic!'
It is!!


I talked to a wonderful elderly gentleman on the beach.  His name is Alexander, he lives in the Colonia and he recognized me from being up there.  He saw me when I brought up clothes and toys to the children before Christmas.  Although I had never met him before we talked on the beach for about half hour. He works at Infinity Bay.  It was exciting for me to be able to communicate entirely in Spanish to him.  I am still at the very elementary stage but they now seem to be able to understand me and it is very rewarding to be able to communicate together.  I love the ease that the people here are so open to talk and share together!!

On January 2nd we went to the airport to pick up Don and Jeanette and Kris.


 
I can't begin to say how good it is to have them back on the island again.   They came over for dinner last night and we had a great time catching up, laughing and visiting.   I decided last night that  I wouldn't go on and on about the chicken at the meal.. and I didn't.   BUT I am going to write about it here.  

Bob and I had gone to Plaza Mar to shop and I didn't really like the look of the chicken.  It looked like a bunch of different pieces.  I asked several people if it was chicken breasts and they said.. oh si, si, si.  Liars!!!!!!   :-)

When I got it home, unthawed it I was amazed to see so many pieces of chicken with NO MEAT on them.  It was remarkable.  I usually get my meat from Pollo Rey and love it, but this was butchered (badly) at Plaza Mar and I couldn't believe how each piece was all bone and no meat.  I sent Bobby boy out to the nearby pulperia for more chicken but they only had pork.    BUT miracles do happen and I managed to scrap off little bits of meat (white and dark) off the bones and made the smallest and skinniest chicken parmasan ever!!!    Such is life here.   Fortunately it was turned out delicious and everyone had enough.  Mind you I made scads of veggies and salad to make up for the skimpy chicken on the table!!  :-)

Today it is pouring rain out.  I love rain. So much for doing laundry though.Oh well that can wait.  
Hey maybe I should make soup from all the BONES I have in the fridge!!! Nah, I think I will go to the "Mega Mall" in French Harbour since Bob got me a gift certificate for some foot detox thing.  I will let you know how it goes!

I hope you have a good day and enjoy the people in your world.


xo

No comments:

Post a Comment