Friday, April 23, 2010

Iguana Farm

We have lived on this island for almost two years and I haven't gone to the Iguana Farm.   Why is that you ask?

 click to see large

Well I have seen enough photos and to be honest:  they scare me!!!  They are sooo huge and there are 1000's of them on the property.   I had seen photos of the whole walkway covered in iguana and well... it just wasn't 'my thing'
 ummm... scaryville!!

BUT, Emily wanted to go and so.... as a good mama.. we went!!   Fortunately we went late in the day and the lady apologized because they weren't that hungry.    Which meant there were maybe about 20 iguana on the ground at one time.  Okay, fine by me!

 look at that brave girl:  feeding them and taking their photos!!


My little tip:   if you go, don't wear green flipflops because they thought my shoes were leaves and kept licking me.   Okay, I am exaggerating... they did it twice!!  But that was enough.  I kept saying will they bite???  I was a little freaked out.


Emily loved it!   That's good!
They also have birds, monkeys and a small area corralled off in the ocean full of big fish, barracuda, turtles etc.  That was neat.  
 this is a barracuda... so scary!
this makes snorkling not fun for me
you can't really get the sense of how big this one is
about 4 feet long!!!
sheesh!!


We really enjoyed watching the monkeys!!   One little guy had more energy than any creature should have!!  It was fun to watch him climb, jump, swing rope etc!!   He had a little tshirt that he liked to put on his head.... what a card!!   At one point, he took the tshirt and climbed up to the very top of the cage to a little loft to hide it there.  It was the only time we saw the 'elder monkey' move.   He darted up to the top and throw the tshirt on the ground as if to say:  "don't put your stuff in my room!!"

 what a cutie!!

So fun.
As we were leaving there was a big iguana blocking the way.  I admit, I was still nervous of them so I was relieved when Emily went stomping over there and got him to go off the sidewalk.   What a girl.   So brave!
She is my hero!

Go Emily Go
clear the path for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment