Saturday, December 26, 2009

giving and giving


...simple joys...

Christmas Eve wasn't marked with last minute shopping and running around or wrapping presents this year.   I was asked by Roberto, who works for Channel 4 to come along to take photos and give out gifts to the poor people of the island.

It was classic Roatan time:  they said we'd leave at 10:00 and they showed up at 12:30, but that's okay we eventually got there.  I am not sure my words can convey what I saw.  I have been up to the Colonia before here on the island.  But I hadn't been up as high on the hill as we went.  Let me tell you this:  in some places the higher up you go the more exclusive it is but here the higher you go the POORER you are!  I wasn't prepared for what I saw.  I really wasn't.  We drove for about 15 minutes up until the road was too washed out and undriveable!  Then we began to walk UP.   The poverty up there was too much for me.




  it's hard to imagine living this way isn't it?

A couple of times I was racked with pain and sobbed out loud.   The conditions up there are deplorable.  The people don't have electricity, so they cook on open fires in a lean to type "room" with a tarp and then a one room area where 8 kids (at least) and the parents stay.   It broke my heart.

   I saw a women cooking and I asked if she was making tamales which is the tradition food for Christmas.   And she smiled a toothless grin and shook her head as she rubbed her thumb and forefinger together (no money)

The donations that Roberto had were mostly second clothing and toys but they were still thrilled to receive them.  The Chinese restaurant donated some fried rice and we shared that with the people.   At one point we gave a little boy some coke and in order for him to hold it the girl took his plate (which looked empty to us) but he fussed and wanted to finish every single grain of rice!!  (that was another sad moment for me..)





 you can click on this and it will be larger so you can see the photos

After we left there we went to another area down closer to the centre of the Colonia and saw people handing out packages of food (which I helped package up the day before: rice, sugar, beans and flour).   We asked if we could have about 20 bags to take up to the area where we just were.   There is a family from Montreal visiting the island and they followed us up in their truck and we proceeded to TREK up again with the food.   Since I am still recovering:  no I didn't carry any food bags up the hill and just prayed that I wouldn't strain anything in the second climb up.


1. boys so excited to get an apple
2. NEW shoes.. oh my goodness
3. later we went down to the truck and just began handing out things
4. the 'team'


The people were surprised and delighted to see us again!  Of course!   After giving out the food we headed down to the truck and proceeded to distribute the rest of the clothing to the people there.   There was a lady who had many children and she was obviously really grateful so I said to her (in broken spanish and mime) that the love is from Jesus, from Him to me, through me to her.   She nodded slowly, smiled and said  "Mucho gratis Senor"  I had to walk away and I just sobbed because here was this woman thanking God for rice, and beans, and simple things like second hand clothes. No tree, no wrapped presents, for fancy meal, no festivities but it was HER day to receive and she was blessed.



 this is the lady I spoke with.  her daughter was thrilled to get a barney (even though it was 2nd hand)


I talked to Emily on skype on Christmas day (which was wonderful!!!) and I told her that this Christmas has changed me forever.  I will never again forget the poor among us.   I can't come back to Canada someday and pretend they don't exist.  They do exist.  I confess that in the past I used to look at people on the streets and sometimes I would judge them for their bad choices that led them up to being there.   Well I have to say that is so wrong.  I realized this Christmas up in the dusty, hillside that Christ loves the poor.  He was born poor and He served and fed the poor.  I was hot, sweaty,dusty and smelly from being out in the heat and climbing but it didn't matter because the fragrance of Christ was stronger then anything!  I am not sure what this means practically or what it will look like.. but I am trusting He will lead me and direct me to make sure the poor are not overlooked...


 

"And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. As it is written: 'He has scattered abroad his gifts to the poor; his righteousness endures forever.'"  2 Cor. 9:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment