Monday, December 14, 2009

a few stories














The other day Bob was driving and the police stopped him.  They asked to see his driver's license (we have hondurans driver's licenses now!)  so the police looked at it, turned it over and said, "pastor?"    and bob said,  "si, pastor"   the police smiled, patted him on the shoulder gently and said, "es bueno" (it is good) and let him go!  (most people who get stopped get fined for some reason.. especially at this time of year)

It is good!   Serving Him here is so rewarding and full of many blessings!



I love how things often 'just work out'.  On Thursday Melissa and I went out 'christmas tree searching' and I must say I was a little shocked at how expensive trees are here.   It isn't uncommon to pay anywhere from $100 - $300 for a tree. (or even more then that!)   Well no thanks.    I am used to having a live tree and there was NO WAY I was going to spend that much on a dumb artificial!! (oops sorry)  So I had a brainwave:   my friend Myra was in the states and if none of her family were borrowing the tree then maybe I could just borrow hers for this year.   So we drove into French Harbour and managed to explain in spanish that we wanted to use Myra's "arbor de navidad".   It was a 'no go' since the house was locked and only the cleaner had the key.   I did get a phone number to call Myra in the states.   Okay that was a good start.   So we headed home (with turkeys in the car.. yahooo!!) and within the hour my cell phone rang and guess who it was:  yes it was Myra!!!   I thought her daughter in law had said that I had come by but she said, No girl, I just wanna hear your voice that's all!!"  (in loud island style!!)  After chatting it up for awhile I asked about the tree and of course she was happy for me to use it.   So we went over there on Sunday and picked it up.   "buenos tardes, um... arbor de navidad por favor?"   "si si si"     I guess Myra told her to watch for a gringo to come on Sunday because I barely was able to say that to her when she came out with the tree in a box.   Tree in a box??!!   Oh well I am grateful.. although I do miss having a live tree!


 I have never put together a tree.
  Bob said, well where were you at all those ladies Christmas teas?
doing something else i guess!!!  (talking...)


So tonight we are going to 'construct the tree' and decorate it!   We are having an early Christmas  dinner on Friday so want to get everything ready for that.  (I will write about that later)


we have this poinsetta outside on the front porch.. i must say it is sweet to have one outside!


It is beginning to look a little like Christmas on the island with christmas lights, decorations, christmas trees.  We haven't heard a single Christmas carol in any of the stores though.  But more then that we are hoping that LOVE will be seen and shared more and more in  small and simple ways.   We are doing our part and hoping that it will become contagious.  I talked to a young man today and he said, "well it is good that you can give back to the island"  I laughed and said, "Anyone can give... because there will always be someone with less then you.  So if you give a little of what you have then they'll be happy!"

Well the sun is setting, a close to another beautiful day here so that means it is time to start supper for my love and I.

  I hope that whatever you are doing it will be marked with PEACE from above.   Don't stress the Christmas stuff..... just think of a young girl saying yes to Him, think about Love coming down on Christmas in a lowly manger, think of angels breaking out in song, (they didn't get to do that very often), think about wise men travelling along ways to see the One who was to redeem the world not only with His life but His death.

still say yes, still give of yourself, still sing, still seek Him, still give yourself away....

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment