Wednesday, December 23, 2009

firecracker blessings

We don't have doorbells in Roatan.
If someone comes they either beep, holler, or the dog starts barking madly!

While I was inside baking cookies I heard a beep so I went outside to see who was outside the fence.
There is a man sitting on his motorcycle.   I thought he said, "Carne" which means meat.  I am rather fascinated .. I don't want any meat but for some reason I open the gate and I see that he has about 4 large bags strapped to his motorcycle.

He takes out a firecracker!  I laugh and say.. ahhhh.. boomm boommmm boommm!!   He said, 'si boom boom boom!

It is tradition on the island to light many firecrackers, sizzlers and sparklers at Christmas.The kind man had noises for each one so I would know which ones were sizzlers, sparklers or boom boom booms!  Being a kid at heart I decide to join in the festivities and make my own noise!!   We are having Marco and Zenola over on the 24th so that would be just perfect!! 


So after making my selection I said adios!  And he said "Dios te Bendiga"  (which means God Bless You) so I took his hand, looked him in the eye and said "Oh si Dios te Bendiga!!" I MEANT IT!   I guess he felt the sincerity because  he proceeded to say he was a Christian, a child of God!  Spanish people are so wonderful, so expressive, so enthusiastic!!  I kept agreeing with him and then he said that Jesus was his peace.  I said muy paz!!  (great peace!) We exchanged several hallelujahs and glory to God's...it was real worship on a sunny afternoon in the driveway.

It was amazing to have this wonderful little moment of praise out in the yard!!!  You just never know what is going to happen when you hear a beep outside but I was truly blessed!!

God bless you today!

No comments:

Post a Comment