Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas Dinner Roatan Style

 

Christmas
I remember once as a teenager writing radically about the consumerism of christmas and how people seemed to have lost the 'real meaning' of Christmas.   At that point in my life seriously I didn't know what the 'real meaning' was but I was very clear about not wanting it to be simply about gifting, drinking madly, partying, rushing around doing things that weren't really essential.  I remember one of my Mom's friends dropped by the house and brought her a little gift.   It was a sweet gesture but she said, Oh no, now I will have to go out and buy something for her!!   That stayed with me and even as a young girl I determined to not make Christmas either obligatory and reciprocal.

As you know it was a very difficult decision to stay here for Christmas.  I am a memory maker at Christmas ...we have many traditions we hold to year after year that generate a sense of realness, and connection.   So what I am saying is that I ache to see my kids and being able to share with them around the advent wreath, have shepherd's pie one night to remember how God choose to herald His coming to the ordinary of the world, stand around the piano and sing carols (thanks David for spontaneously playing and loving carols), make gifts or cookies to give away to friends and people who are less fortunate than us, play games loudly, give toasts with glasses full of eggnog, and have our door open for friends to come to a 'Cowan Christmas Party' and celebrate together.   I would light all my Christmas candles, and white lights and think the ambience was beautiful and in that stillness I would experience  the Presence of the Holy One within.
That is Christmas for me.

So this year is different.
Being in another culture changes things.
At first I was worried that since most Islanders that I talked to don't make a big 'deal' of Christmas that we would miss out in some way and being that it is tropical it wouldn't 'feel' like Christmas.  Well oddly enough since we don't have alot of shopping to do here, not alot of christmas concerts to attend, banquets to go to, or church obligation  there is space in our lives for just living and giving.


signs of christmas in west end?


On Friday night we had Canadian Christmas dinner for our 'staff' here. We had it early since Carlos and his Dad are going to the coast on Tuesday. Marco, Liliana and their three children live on the property and manage it.  Maria has been helping clean since my surgery and she has been such a blessing.
Carlos takes care of the property and we invited his dad, Enrique to come too.It was so special.
These people are in our world, they work hard and selflessly. They deserved to be spoiled and blessed!
For some of them, it was the first time having turkey or as they called it 'grande de pollo'  (very big chicken) It is heartwarming to share with others who have so little.


 ever try cooking a turkey in an oven that is mini size? it just wouldn't cook!!

we were an hour late in eating and still it wasn't cooked through but they didn't mind waiting.  
"no problema!"

you can see everyone joined in 'helping' in the kitchen!



It is a blessing in fact to be able to give knowing they won't be able to return the blessings except with their gratitude, hugs and smiles. A few highlights:

~Enrique singing spanish songs and me and the kids dancing in the kitchen.
~Having a white elephant gift exchange and seeing the guys pick obvious girl presents (the hair clip on the top of the present was their first clue) to give to their sisters or wives since they don't have alot of money for that sort of thing. Selflessness at it's best.
~Little Edwardo thanking me over a dozen times for the 'cool hair gel'
~Sitting around the advent wreath listening to the Christmas story in Spanish
~Watching Carlos eat more then I thought humanly possible!!
~Seeing Bob shoosh Maria out of the kitchen and shocking her by doing the dishes himself (Honduran men don't hang out in the kitchen!!!)
I could go on and on.




Carlos with his SECOND  plate of food!
all week long he was waiting and kept saying..
'mucho comida!' well he ate alot!





the kids had so much fun!


Enrique entertained us.
Maria's smile in this photo came from the depths of her soul.   She told us at dinner that this was the 
first meal with friends she has had since she came to Roatan 8 months ago.


Bob and Marco 'hamming' it up!
You can see everyone was enjoying the Christmas hats!


So please let Him open your eyes to people in your world who are less fortunate, who might be blessed with a bag of groceries, a coffee, some spare change.   The poor are among us everywhere and to consider them makes Him smile.  Of this I am certain. After all the Lord spent His first night on the earth laying on dirty hay, visited by common , smelly shepherds, and held by a rough handed carpenter.
Please don't allow the mayhem of 'what  we think we should do' keep you from doing what you should.



silent night
Holy night




L.O.V.E with reckless abandon,
GIVE from your heart to those you know,
and to those you don't.
xo

Merry Early Christmas!
We are enjoying leftovers already!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Deb-

    the kids looked like they were having such a great time! Makes me wish I was back with you all... especially with the snow we're having!

    Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I've decided to follow in your guys' pastoral footsteps, and we are hosting a 'Christmas at the Scotts' open house next week! Miss you lots. Hug Bob for me,

    Amy

    ReplyDelete