Monday, June 22, 2009

singin' up a storm


Bob and I have been going to the Church of God in French Harbor for about 6 months now and we just had a wonderful opportunity to sing and play with them for their annual conference this past weekend. I have always want to sing in a black choir. Why? You ask. I love their enthusiasm and their soul. Plus I have always been teased for being 'a black wannabee' for years. This experience exceeded my expectations!!


praising His name!




Bob with the band: cedric on bass, jim on electric, russell on accoustic and augustine on piano, and bob on accoustic of course

So when I asked Edwin, the worship leader if we can help in any way, and he said he'd love to have our help to sing at the annual conference I was thrilled. We practiced ALOT and as a result not only did we learn alot of songs but we also got to know each other better.

We were responsible to sing for 5 sessions and that was alot of songs!! One thing about islanders... they love to sing and their services usually run 2 -3 hours long. I must admit it was a very tiring weekend but the blessings outweighed the rest. His presence was very real in the services and I was astounded at the hunger and the longing of the people to truly meet with Him and many many surrendered their lives into His hands. It was amazing!





We were welcomed in so sincerely into this 'world' . I feel pretty confident that we were the first white people to be on their team but we integrated so wonderfully. One night it was soooo very hot (even with fans and AC) we were melting. Loletta pulled out a paper fan and began to fan me so beautifully. She leaned over to me and said, I'm gonna take care of you, girl.
For some reason I was really touched by what she said and it brought tears to my eyes. I just put my head on her shoulder and said, thank you, thank you, thank you. That in a nutshell typifies the people here: so caring and thoughtful.


that is Loletta singing beside me in the white dress.. haha.. i mean the lady on the left.

Bob with the guys!

I also want you to meet Myra. She has the biggest heart and has become a very dear friend to me. Somewhere over the course of all the practices and the conference she began to refer to me as 'girlfriend'. We were the ones who were laughing, telling stories and sharing life experiences whenever we could. Many a time, during practice Edwin would have to give us the "shhhhh" because we were enjoying each other a bit too much!! Bob and I went to her house on Saturday (in between sessions) and enjoyed being in her home, drinking coffee and enjoying a beautiful meal of pork, beans, and potato salad. She can sing like nobodies business and she led the service Saturday night with alot of old style gospel songs. That place was truly rockin'!


me and myra.. all snazzed up for the Saturday night session!


I have to admit I wasn' thrilled to wear this outfit.. so hot... polyester doesn't work in the tropics!!


They had our outfits made by a seamstress in Coxen Hole. That was interesting. Getting measured was a first for me. Then we had to go to her shop and get fitted. Here were the instructions to her place: before you get to Carrion you will see a alley way, go down there until you see someone sewing. That is her place. I did find her but I had to ask because they forgot to say she didn't live on that little alley way but off a side road. We only wore the outfits on Sunday night which I was glad because they were so HOT! Myra leaned over at one point and said, "Girl, I am leaking everywhere in this dress!!" So then it was my turn to fan her.


Beautiful girls!!


Betty and Francis have been serving as missionaries on the island for a combination of 90 years together (40 years and 50 years) so on Saturday night we honoured them for their faithful service. It was very interesting to see the changes and to hear of the many lives they touched and influenced. What a testimony!!!! They are heading back to the States soon and many people are so sad to see them go.

All in all it was a wonderful weekend. I look forward to continuing to get to know them all, serve them and grow together in our faith. I have a burden in particular for a couple of women/young girls that I would like to mentor. Please pray for them. (the Lord knows their names.. I don't feel right about sharing that information... as I am sure you can understand) They have a passion and desire to live for God that is really commendable. They love His Word. But many of them are so wounded. There are things that have happened on this island like sexual abuse that have really held the woman down for many years. I would love to be a part of helping to bring healing and liberty to their souls. I cherish your prayers. I do.

Thanks for standing together with us from a distance. May you continue to open wide your heart to Him and your arms to those He leads you to.

Blessings.

2 comments:

  1. I would have loved to be beside you Debi in that choir! I am sure it was a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a pleasure, as always, to read your stories Debi - I wish I could have been there in person, but I was there in spirit. Have I told you how much I enjoy listening to you sing - well I do.

    love you muchly
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete