Thursday, June 25, 2009

out and about (said of course with a canadian accent!)

Bob has been on the Mainland the last couple of days with Marco preparing to send a container of hardwood over to the States. So Matt and I have been here on our own. We have been doing alot of snorkeling. I am amazed at how easy it is becoming for me. I am so happy that I overcame my fear of being over my head. There are alot more things to see out at the reef. I love snorkeling West Bay the most because the reefs are close to the shore and not in deep water. It isn't that I am afraid it is that I can see when the reef are about 5 ft high. Once it gets deep the reef becomes like a wall and the bottom of the reef is maybe 20 - 30 feet down and I can't see down that far. Prescription glasses are in order AND I also need to learn to dive down. Matt, bless his patient heart, has been teaching me to dive while snorkeling. Not easy for me to do. Hopefully I will learn to do it correctly. I wish you could see Matt in the water. He is a natural. He moves with a wonderful fluid ease under water. It is graceful and beautiful to watch. I am all jerky and clumsy in the water. But hey, you never know.. I might turn into a little fish someday... :-)


I want to see a sea turtle so badly but haven't yet. I have seen so many fish!! The other day at West Bay I saw a school of over 25 Blue Tangs, about 6 parrot fish, tons of angel fish, groupers, sea stars, and so many fish that I don't know the names of yet. I just follow them around. It is a glorious, colorful and astounding world down there!

Today Matt was telling me that a barracuda followed him back from the reef. It was huge!!! And it wouldn't leave him alone. Usually if you see one they just swim away but this one kept following, circling and to say it was frightening, was the understatement. He said it was more scary then the shark dive. Apparently they can sense fear and move into attack mode at that point. Note to self: avoid barracuda's at all costs!!! Or.. .stay calm, stay calm, stay calm.. ya right!!

Later on in the day Jeanette and I went to the Butterfly Gardens. It is a small little operation that has about 40 tropical birds, an aviary for toucans, and another screened in area (of course) with about 13 different varieties of butterflies. I enjoyed seeing the tropical birds: olive conures, macaws, parrots. I love birds so much!!



Italic
did i mention I love birds!??!!

I would love to own a bird here. It could live out on the deck year round. I could teach it to talk like I did with our budgie Sonny.



The butterflies were so beautiful to watch. I was thrilled to see a blue morpho as they are one of my favorite butterflies!


a blue morpho.. unfortunately it was dying but it allowed me to get a good shot of it's vibrant color!!



Later on in the evening the power went out. It seems to happen alot in the evenings lately. Fortunately I had just finished making a large chicken caesar salad. Basically Matt and I hung out on the deck seeking a breeze. Matt played his guitar and we made up lyrics to the songs. It was fun. I got out my camera and we fooled around doing long exposures (30 seconds). What that means is that the camera lens stays open for 30 seconds during which time you can capture various movements in one photo. It is alot of fun. We took alot of pictures using the flashlight as the only source of light.

You have to make the most of times when the power is out and we had a great time together.

please pray for matt
that this will be his posture.
a bended knee is the best posture for all of us
trust me....

Tonight Matt is having over some guys from Sonrise to play xbox so I best go and make some dinner. I love having him around and will hate to see him go. I would have to say the hardest part about paradise is not being close to the kids so to have them around is such a great blessing.


Matt holding the sun in his hands. Let's hold on to the SON. Amen!

5 comments:

  1. Hi there my little mermaid: I'm so proud of you for overcoming the 'water over your head thing'. Snorkeling now must be like having an interactive fish tank, only way bigger. I looked up Barracudas on Wikipedia and no wonder Matt was nervous - I sure wouldn't want one following me home.
    p.s. I love the double exposure of Matt
    all my love
    x B x

    ReplyDelete
  2. the shot of matt isn't a double exposure .. it is a long exposure (30 seconds). you can see a really cool one of him on flickr.. he made 4 different faces in one shot! oh fun fun fun!

    and yes the other day I was thinking about a salt water aquarium I at a restaurant in Vernon that I used to enjoy watching and while I was snorkeling I laughed (tricky under water) because the real deal aquarium is soooo very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. man, my typos get worse with age!! but you get my drift right?

    a salt water fishtank in vernon used to thrill me, but now.. I have the whole sea to enjoy!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deb! So happy to hear about your consistent snorkeling adventures..kudos goes to Matt for being such a good partner :)
    Tell Matt I met that same barracuda...I made good friends with him...so he can just tell him that he knows me...everything will be ok- though he may ask a few trivia questions about me- so he might want to brush up a bit...ok- I went too far :)
    I too longed to see a sea turtle.. it happened, may your dream come true, as I am sure it will!

    blessings

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love that photo of Matt holding the sun! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete