Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A question I never thought I'd ask

Some conversations just need to be written down.. this is one of them. This happened while we were at worship practice on Tues. night.

D- So Lydia did you use the coconut I brought you?
L- Well not yet, no. But I be cooking iguana tomorra and the coconut milk will be good.
D- Iguana eh? *Eyebrows raising*

I need to say that the islanders know that I am grossed out at the thought of eating iguana so I think sometimes they tell me iguana stories just to see me gag or threaten to walk away. Don't ask me why it really makes me ill to think about eating a reptile but it really does. Apparently they say it tastes like chicken with ALOT of tiny (reptile) bones in it! No thanks.


But for some reason last night I was really curious about the whole iguana thing so I asked alot of questions and today, my friends I am going to share it with you...

L - ya I got me an iguana today.
D - So where do you get it? Did someone go huntin' for it?
L - Nah, a man from the east side came by with it so I gots it from him.
D- You mean he just walked up to you and said "you wanna buy an iguana" (smiling!)
L- (serious) ya.
D- Okay, so where is this iguana? Is he dead in your fridge?
L- Dead? No he ain't dead.
D- Well where he is? In a cage somewhere?
L - No he be tied up in my yard!
D- (laughing) You tied him up?!!! I wanted to say: aren't you afraid someone will steal him but
I kept that to myself.. didn't want her worrying about an iguana thief!!
D- Okay Lydia tell me, what is gonna happen tomorrow? You gonna get your husband to kill it?
L- Nah, I be killin' it. My husband he don't like iguana, but me and my kids we be loving it. So
I be killin' it, cookin' it and eatin' it.

these are authentic iguana hunters.. possible iguana sellers

Then I proceed further than I ever thought I'd go in an iguana conversation. I asked her how she plans on killing it. I don't know why I asked her but before I could take it back, or walk away (well I couldn't walk away since we were at practice)

L- There is a little hole on the head on the iguana so I get me a straw and pull back the skin and put the straw in and he be dead in no time.
D- You what??!! (shocked) That's awful!
L - (laughing)


I am wondering if that is the little flap of skin that they pull back and insert the straw? EWW!

Before I could ask anymore questions it was time to sing again. She kept looking at me smiling. I kept looking at her shaking my head in disbelief.


Let me say that today I was visiting my West End friend Ivis and I asked her about killing an iguana and she looks me straight in the eye and says: "You just poke a straw in his head !!"

D- A straw? Wouldn't a plastic straw just bend?
I- (killing herself laughing) Not a plastic straw!!

She walked over to a palm tree and ripped off part of the leaf, pulled aside the green until there was just a thin but sturdy 'straw' of the palm there. Then she showed me again how to kill an iguana.

At this point I am saying.. Okay that's enough!!
She is amused and laughing at me. I am not amused and tell her I want to talk about something else. She is still laughing!!

They love to see me squirm and get upset. I guess it is kinda fun because I just realized I am doing it to you. Maybe you aren't grossed out by such things. I truthfully hope not. I just wanted to show yet another interesting island reality. It is times like this when I realize I am a gringo through and through. I can't imagine eating an iguana or , the egg sack (super gag!) or worse, killing it. BUT, if the day ever comes when I can handle actually trying to eat iguana you will be the first to know.. but don't hold your breath. :-)

this one be too small for eatin'. lucky little fella!

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this story. I remember having conversations like this with many a people from Helene. I have tried it. Tastes like a greasy chicken. :) Tried the eggs too. Just plain yucky to me. :)They tie them up by connecting their claws together behind their backs. Wild stuff. Thanks for sharing. I could hear you talking as I was reading. So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, now I know how to kill an iguana if I ever have to do so! Funny how our western culture with our pre-packaged meats in the nice sterile grocery store really affects us when we are hit with the reality of how most of the rest of the world survives.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Debi I'm with you - the whole thought just grosses me right out. But on the flip side - if you ever were to visit a slaughter/meat packing plant you would probably feel even worse. Tom worked at a slaughter/packing plant for a really, really, short time - he couldn't eat weiners or sausages for a very long time after.
    Saw an old man in Logan Lake wearing a T-shirt that said
    "Vegetarian - old Indian word for Bad Hunter" - that would be me.
    love ya
    xx B xx

    ReplyDelete