Monday, November 17, 2008

Some sunny day shots.

I haven't written for a week because the weather has been fabulous and we have been out and about alot. Our days are filling up with meeting with people, having lunches and dinners out, visiting, and exploring the island. It was wonderful because the days were sunny and hot, and it was great to be a break from the rain. But it is raining today and maybe that is a good thing since I am more inclined to get some things done on the computer. Here is a collage that I made



We went to Sundancer to look at a house, and there were some sweet children out on the dock. Their mother was fishing, and they caught a few fish, a conch and some crabs.

It is actually against the law to catch conch but the islanders have been doing it for years so who can really stop them. Especially when it will be a main meal for the day. Here is a little boy proudly holding the conch that his Mom caught



Every evening we still go out on the dock to see the sunset, well a few days ago I turned around to see the moon rising behind us! It was remarkable! Here is Bob giving me the 'moon'! Sweet guy huh?!


I woke up the next day at around 5:00 am and even though it was dark I went out, braving the bugs, the bats and any stray wild dogs out there to get the following photo. I think it was worth it!!

There is a new exciting opportunity coming to the island. God is really leading and there is soon to be a girls home on the island. Unfortunately many girls here are victims of sexual abuse so this will be a safe place for them. We went to an information meeting and are looking forward to helping in any way we can in the days to come.

After that was over we walked around Gumbalimba Park and here are some photos of us 'monkeying around'
The monkeys are very tame and friendly. They have about 20 of them that live there. They also have birds like macaws and parrots. I asked why we don't see them flying around free on the island and he said it is because people try to catch them and so they keep them in this refuge.

They are soooo beautiful! It is quite funny to have a picture of Bob with 2 birds on his shoulders since he isn't really a 'bird guy!'


I want to share a few pictures of what it is like to shop on the island. Yes we do have stores but many people either push their wares or wear their wares!!


He is selling lychees. I have tried them. They have a very spiky red shell that you rip open and there a grape like fruit inside. I thought they were rather tasteless and wouldn't buy them again. Well maybe if you come for a visit..I will buy some and you can see if you like them!!
Watch? Sunglasses? Good price!!! :-)

This guy was determined to sell me something. I said no. And then I thought.. hey Christmas is coming so I went back and looked again. He quoted me quite a high price and then I said, No touristo, and he gave it to me for half the price! It pays to live here!!

At least once a week we drive to West End to go see this guy (I can't remember his name) who sells the best vegetables on the island. Very fresh, and since we are regulars.. very cheap too!!!
He gets them from the mainland and oh boy are they good!! Tangerines, cantaloupe, tomatoes, potatoes, broccoli, apples, onions, peppers.. that is what we bought that day! YUM!

You never really know how things will unfold each day here. I have said that several times. Well we had gone out to the EastEnd of the island to see the Friendship Village. It is a conference centre (very rustic) where many islanders go for weekend retreats and it is a time of spiritual renewal for many. We wanted to meet with the gentleman who runs it just to hear first hand what is going on. It is very exciting that many people are coming to know the Saviour and being set free from addictions and pain. After we left there we stopped in at "The View" restaurant for a light lunch. I noticed how beautifully it was decorated so I took a few pictures of the decor. I went and asked a lady what is going on and she told me it was going to be a VIP party for Nikki Beach Resort. I complimented her on the decorating and showed her a few of the pictures that I took. She asked if I want to come and photograph the event. I must admit I was a bit nervous since I hadn't done anything like that before but it went well. It was basically catching candid happy, beautiful shots!
Bob took this picture of me at the event.

I don't feel right about posting the pictures I took there since they are for Nikki Beach Resort.


Who knows what will come out of this event. Perhaps I will do some more shoots. You never know. I do prefer the more creative aspect of photography but I am open to whatever He has for me....

God knows. Our lives are in His hand.

2 comments:

  1. Another beautiful sunny week in the life of my little island girl. Isn't it funny how each day unfolds, unscheduled, yet so filled with anticipation of what the day holds for you. The warm air, the slower pace, really lends itself to a slower, more peaceful daily existence. Okay, okay I admit it - I'm envious ....
    love ya muchly
    xx me xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nicely put Debi...as always! Compliments to Bob on his photography skills too - great picture he took of you; lovely!

    Hugs,
    Jo

    ReplyDelete