Tuesday, November 11, 2008

remembering



I am sitting here this morning in a reflective mood. Today on Nov. 11 we remember the men who fought in the war for freedom. My Dad fought in that war. I have seen a photo of him in uniform and I have seen his metals, but I can't imagine that intensity, the fear, the smells, and the uncertainty that everyday held. It is good to remember those who fought for us, who literally gave their lives for their country.

This past week my sister Bonnie wrote about remembrance day and I wanted to quote part ofher email because it is so well written.
"Remembrance Day has really been pulling at my heart this year as well. Dad has been on my mind and I find myself walking thru the large field between Clark and Mark St schools, past the back of the theater, down the back lane past the Atikokan Clinic over to the old Legion, Mom and all seven of us kids (dad way off in front). Standing in the cold at the Senitaf, as they laid the wreathes and the sound of the lone bugler giving me goosebumps and a lump in my throat. There was an awareness and respect for the ceremony behind Remembrance Day back then,
but I guess the veterens were still fairly young men and we were only half a generation removed from the war. I can't even imagine what must have gone thru their minds as they stood there remembering."


These men were self-less, fearless and willing to die for the sake of their country. It is good to honour them and remember them. Many are suffering even to this day, with dreams and trauma, wounds inside and out. Take time today to remember them, pray for them or if you can, sit down and listen to their stories and thank them face to face.

I am also remembering my Mom on this day. She died from a heart attack and stroke 3 years ago. I know she is in heaven, completely whole and that one day I will see her again. But I have to say that losing her was the hardest thing I ever faced! It took me along time to come to terms with her death. I was basically ticked at God for taking her so soon after we had moved to BC. It seemed unfair. But I finally had to come to accept that at least I had 4 months with her nearby me and that time was truly precious. So today I remember her fondly.

I remember her wit, her love for people, the way she scurried around fussing over everyone, her love for animals, the way she made me laugh, her ackwardness and shyness, and her faith in the living One. I miss the sound of her voice and the smell of her lotion as she hugged me hard....I know I will see her one day but in the meantime I will remember the things she taught me like how to get by with little and still live large inside, how to laugh when others aren't, how to believe when others don't, and how to care about people when most only care about themselves. It is a tradition amongst us girls to go out and have french fries and gravy in honour of our Mom because she loves to stop at a restaurant and 'have some fries and gravy'.

I am also remembering all of you. No distance can ever come between true friends and genuine love. The mountains, or the sea, or the praires cannot diminish the connection that is there. The other night we met a new couple on the dock and had them over for dinner here. As you get to know people it is natural to talk about our past together. We are so thankful that the Lord has given us such a HUGE FAMILY. In each of the churches that we have pastored we are blessed with people that we love and that remain in our hearts long after we have left. Love has been mined in our hearts like gold and it remains strong over the years. Thank you all for your continued friendship, prayers, and commitment. Daily we thank God for you. Truly.

















Each day that passes here on the island the Lord is defining and redefining why He has brought us here. This is the simple version and calling: He has called us to love people and help them love Him. Simple. Beautiful. We went to Flower's Bay the other day with Dugard and I am posting some pictures of that as well as some pictures taking at church. The elderly lady is Dugard's Mom.. such a wonderful women named Miss Gloria
















Today is a busy day for us. We are going out for brunch with some Canadian friends we met here (ya Canada!! that is another thing altogether that I am adjusting to.. I miss my 'own kind of people') then I am meeting with a lady that I am mentoring, and this evening we are going out to a dinner theatre with 2 other couples. Each day unfolds with people to care about, help and love.



It is good to stop to remember. I hope you take some time today to stop to think about what really matters to you. It is so easy to get 'going full speed ahead' in life and just caught up in the busyness without thinking about what matters most. Stop. Pray. Listen. Do it.































I saw this two school years sitting on the sea wall at Flower's Bay. Do you have someone to share secrets with? I hope so.

















You see alot of women walking around with curlers a few days before church.. gettin' ready!!















These boys were swimming in Flower's Bay and I took alot pics of them jumping in the water and then this one group shot. Oh how He loves them!! My heart is warmed everytime I see this photo!


Sending lots of love and prayers your way today. I have said it before but I will say it again, if there is anything you need prayer for in particular please drop us a line.Our life here right now is simple. We have lots of time here for that. Let us know what we can do for you. I believe He is able to do even more then we can ask or imagine. It's true. Oh no... I am now late and better go have my shower!! (some things never change!!) :-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Debi - I have read this over twice already and I don't know what to say. I wish I could hold you in my arms and give you the biggest and longest hug ever. Kathy ya want to join us and we can do the sisters 3 hug. Yeah for sisters.
    all my love
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such a beautiful post. thank you for the gift that is you debi. for your positive and uplifting words, for your spirit, for your love. thinking of you, and all those that are so dear to me.
    blessings and love.....xo

    ReplyDelete