Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Flowers Bay and Possibilities




On Saturday we took a drive over the hill to the south side of the island, to Flower’s Bay to see our friends Elizabeth and Lee. It is very different from our side. We have sandy beaches, and jungle, and spectacular views. The south side has a winding shoreline, open to the sea with more of a rocky shoreline called iron shore, made of volcanic remnants.


The reef is scattered which means that the surf is able to pound up against the rock and the waves are beautiful with lots of spray. I have always loved that area. When we go there I feel like I am experiencing true ‘island life’. It isn’t very touristy. No resorts, restaurants, Americans, or shops. You see island people walking along, clothes blowing on the line, children playing in the surf and small colourful homes of all sizes and shapes. It is a taste of real life. When we were visiting Elizabeth I told her my thoughts about this side of the island and she said it is because this is where the islanders live. It is culturally more untouched by the North American ways. I like that. They live up at the top of a long hill and although there was a road there is NO WAY we could have driven our car up there, especially now in rainy season. In fact I don’t think we could have even driven a 4 wheel drive up there. Their idea of a road and our idea of a road are vastly different. I wish I had pictures to show you of that day but although I brought my camera I forgot my memory card.

We had such a wonderful visit with them. We seem to be really connecting with the true local people. Each time we visit they are impressed with our unassuming ways, our willingness to learn of their culture, and that fact that WE CARE. I can only thank God for that because it is truly Him who gives us this kind of heart.

One of the concerns here on the island is that there is little for the teens to do (sound familiar!!). Even more than many places, the use of drugs and alcohol are prevalent here and unfortunately many are falling into that path. We were talking about how wonderful it would be to have a community centre where they could play basketball or even indoor soccer. Right now we see the needs but we can only trust that the Lord will unfold His plans for such things. There are many people on the island who have property…but would someone actually donate it so a centre could be built?? Please pray with us. At this point we are mostly dreaming and praying. We see the needs and are trusting Him to show us what our part is in making Christ-followers a reality for the island people.

Another concern here is the growing level of crime. Many people from the mainland of Honduras have recently come to the island and with them are bringing violence and crime. It is a shame because many of the islanders used to sleep with their windows open at night but now they are becoming more fearful. It isn’t easy to sleep without airflow, as it can get hot even in the rainy season. These are just a few of the changes that people are seeing happen here in just the last few years.

Some new opportunities:

I am planning to start a Bible study with some of the island ladies in the near future. My friend Zenola was thrilled when I said I would love to do that. I told her if she gathers the women and sets up the place I would love to teach them. They are hungry to know His ways but haven’t had a bible study in years. That is very exciting for me!!

Another thing is that we are hoping to help with worship at church. The worship leader has gone back to the States so we will step in and help in that way. We actually attend two churches. There is a church that meets every other week and we have been going there. We have wonderful fellowship with them and enjoy a very contempory style of worship. I leaned over to Bob last week and said, “sounds just like you honey” Pastor Larry has a very relationship style but boy he packs a punch when he needs to. Last week he gave the warning against judging one another. Each alternate week it is such a blessing to gather with them and be encouraged.


We went out for lunch after the service to the Blue Bahia and here is a picture of Bob and Larry's idea of a 'meeting'! :-)

The other weeks we meet at the Sonrise Church, which meets here in Sandy Bay. What I love about that is that there is a wonderful mix between North Americans and the locals who gather there. Often we sing songs in Spanish and I love that! We have enjoyed getting to know Pastor Chuck and his wife Tia. In fact, I will be meeting regularly with Tia on Tuesday afternoons and am sure that will be a tremendous blessing for us both.


Bob continues to encourage and share his wisdom with many people in many ways. Once again you never know why you meet certain people and what will come as a result of it. Bob got together with a local gentleman to look at property for sale (they all want to sell you land here!!) but we just sensed that it wasn’t the time for us to invest in that way. Over the course of them being together Bob had shared about the Lord with Dugard and just yesterday he called saying “Bob I would like to get together with someone with experience who can tell me how to be saved. Can we meet?” MOST DEFINITELY! J They are planning on meeting today or tomorrow. Please pray for him.

Another thing Bob is doing is helping Zenola write a book on natural remedies of the island. She was telling us how she shares these natural remedies with the people she gives tours to and they kept saying that she should write a book. Bob said you should do that, but she didn’t have a computer, so on Thursday he is going over to start typing out these remedies and begin the process of getting it into book form. Needless to say she is thrilled!! We figure that if we can help her to create some income then she will be able to help more people on the island herself. She is probably one of the most giving women I have ever met. She always has people in her home feeding them and taking care of their needs. She is a blessing to many. Even on my birthday she came by and brought me a beautiful seashell necklace.

So this is a bit of what is happening for us. Please pray for us that we will continue to be His hands and feet on this island. We are excited! In the future we are hoping to be able to have teams come down to help us. Perhaps you would want to be a part of that. We trust Him to unfold all the details of how that will come to pass. Bob is building the infrastructure (his word) for it and should have a website soon. He is calling our company “Roatan Connections”…connecting people with Island needs (Mission Teams)…Island Vacations (Property Management)…and Island beauty (my Photography).

Nothing is too difficult for Him.

I believe it, do you?

Blessings. xo

1 comment:

  1. Oh Debi that sounds wonderful. "What sounds wonderful" she asks. Everything is falling into place, that's what is so wonderful. I see Bob's Sunday goin to church clothes are still colourful, tropical shirts and shorts instead of pants. Gotta love it.
    I have faith that the house hunting venture will be fruitful and it's just around the corner.

    I sure wish I could get involved in the local remedies book project. I find that very, very facinating.
    love you
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete