Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The needs are great!



Last week Bob sent out our Newsletter so I hadn't written for awhile (we don't want you to have to read stuff twice). If you didn't receive his newsletter and want to then please drop us an email and we will be sure to add you to our mailing list (roatanbob@gmail.com).

As you can see from that newsletter our lives are full in many ways. In all honesty I barely have enough time to write in here! We are busy visiting, praying with people and helping to meet needs on the island here. I was happy to help with worship last Sunday and Bob was able to preach. Our days are full and we are grateful!

That is Sheryl (our Spanish teacher) playing the drums, Jergen leading and me helping to singBob is sharing about how the Father in the prodigal son story was so happy to have his son home.. He eagerly awaits us to return and when we do His arms are open wide!

This is a team of young people from the Mainland that have come to the island to share His love, pray with government officials, the police etc. and basically to shine the light into this place. We were impressed with their joy, their commitment, and enthusiasm. We couldn't speak much together but the pastor spoke fluent English and we had a great evening together sharing the awesome things that He is doing! It was a highlight for me so far.


Yes it is very exciting being down here. I was marveling the other day how easy the transition has been for us to be here. In fact it may be one of the easiest moves we have made. YET there was a time back in Vernon when I didn't want to go to Roatan; I didn't want to make another move; I didn't want to leave the kids back in Canada; I didn't want to deal with all the changes; I just didn't want to go!! I was sitting at the table a few days ago and I said to Bob, "Imagine if I had said NO to coming". That is a possibility. I could have allowed my fears, lack of trust and unwillingness to get in the way of what God wanted for us here. It was sobering to think what we would have missed!! It is a rather scary thought... so don't allow fears and unwillingness to rob you of the blessings He has in store for you. I remember the day everything changed for me regarding Roatan. It was interesting because I was just walking through the dining room (back in Vernon) and suddenly this amazing sense of excitement overtook me. Suddenly the idea of going there was so APPEALING!!! I believe that day the Lord revealed His heart to me regarding this place. He gave me a taste of what GOOD thing lay ahead for us. I am so glad we came!!

We got some terrific news yesterday from our lawyer Cristiana that our application for Residency has finally been submitted. Practically, that means we can now keep renewing our Visa to stay on the Island, and go ahead and get a ministry/business under way!! We are excited about that because now it is legal to work here and we wanted to make sure we did everything above board. So now we are in the process of forming our corporation (which Bob highlighted in his newsletter). Things are happening quickly for us. We thank God for our lawyer .. she goes above and beyond for us. She went to Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras to get an extension on our tourist pass for the car (which we also have now) and ended up staying 2 extra days in order to get our papers in order.



Speaking of that, here is an interesting story of God's miraculous intervention for us! The other night we wanted to go to French Harbour to go to church with Dugard and his daughter Sharon.
(that is Sharon.. isn't she so beautiful? I think this may be one of my favorite photos)

Anyways as we drove away I realized we didn't have our registration papers or Bob's passport since our lawyer that taken those to the mainland (yes we trusted her with his passport and he now has it back). She had given us photocopies of those but we had left them at home. I was a bit concerned about driving without those important papers but Bob felt that the Lord would protect us. So we went to church, no problems (it was wonderful btw.. reminded me a lot of the 'big' sounds of worship at City Heights Church in N.S.) BUT on the way back there was a road block, not just the local police but the cobras (special forces) blocking the road and checking cars. What that would mean for us would be paying a HUGE fine. So, of course we prayed. Bob asked God to see us through it, and I asked God that He would blind their eyes to us and wouldn't even see us! So there they are in the middle of the road, it's dark, no one is around, they have guns, and they are stopping the cars. As we got closer, all 5 of them turned their backs to our vehicle and stood there as if they were looking at something. What??! We don't know.. there wasn't anything there to look at. They just stood there with their backs to us and we drove right on through!! Praise God! Huge sigh.

Things in general have settled down on the island for which we are grateful. No more angry road blockades, which were regularly taking place around the time when they have to pay their electric bills, so we are praying that everyone will remain level headed. The cruise ships have said they will not return to the island this season if there is one more disruptive roadblock. If the cruise ships stopped coming it would be devastating for the people who depend on that business. Tourism is the main source of income .. no tourist means no money for them!

One thing that has been really breaking my heart lately is seeing so many needs around us! I want to help everyone but I can't. It is hard to see. Many of our friends are suffering daily without enough money to provide for their family. It is one of those times when I wish I were so rich I could help them all!




We are getting to know the people who come to the Sonrise Church too. Many live up in the Colonia in very desperate situations, living in small lean-to's, many of them haven't eaten in days, they aren't clothed properly, they don't have blankets, or even shoes! My heart breaks in the biggest way!! It is very sad!
This house, by the way, would be considered a very nice home here. I don't have any pics from the Colonia yet.

I met a girl in a shop yesterday who is collecting toys and clothing for children who live around Hottest Sparrow, farther upIsland. There are people who provide Christmas for some of the kids on the island but no one is ministering up there. So I am going to go out and get some things for these kids. That is one thing I love about this island is that people see a need and do something. She said she and her friends have been going up there and have organized a medical and dental team to go up there. Each time they go they take some food and clothing.



If you would like to help in some way then please email us (roatanbob@gmail.com) and I will let you know very specifically what you can do to provide for a family here. Bob will be listing specific needs on our Website in the new year. Bob and I can only do so much and we are happy to help and be in their lives but if you want to partner with us in any way then we'd be pleased as pie to have you stand in practical ways to minister to the needy on this beautiful island.

We have been taking Spanish lessons from a young woman here and that has been wonderful! Not only is she teaching us but we are really enjoying getting to know her and hanging out together. We like the same type of music so whenever she comes over, the music is cranked and we have such fun together. I have often said that truly I am about 27 years old inside. Many of my dearest friends are around that age. I love their enthusiasm, their willingness to learn and grow and their gratitude for the simplest of things (such as a good home cooked meal) Sheryl is from the Mainland but moved to the island a year ago and is recently helping at the Sonrise Church as a translator. She is such a wonderful person. I love spoiling her! She just got a part time job and is saving up to get her license (costs about $25US) and is excited about a car that Sonrise gave her to use. Needless to say she loves 'tooling around' in our car with us, walking the beach, listening to music, sharing about His goodness, uploading songs from our computer. We just switched MP3 players since mine had more gigabytes then hers. She was thrilled. She is a believer who recently has dealt with some hard issues in her past and I am so proud of her for her willingness to forgive, her longing to be free, and her love for the Lord. Having her in my life regularly blesses me.

One thing we are working on is trying to get her some medication from the States, but a Honduran doctor can't write a prescription to a doctor in the US. It is just that her medication is very EXPENSIVE on the Island, and in short supply. If you want to help with that then let me know. I could write pages and pages and pages about the needs that we see daily. It makes me very grateful for the privileges we have enjoyed in life!

Tomorrow we are excited to be flying to Florida for a month to visit with Bob's Mom and also to have the kids join us for Christmas there!! It will be wonderful to be together again!! I will write while I am there.

Thanks again for standing with us in this journey..onwards...
Blessings....




4 comments:

  1. So of course I want to know what music you and the Spanish teacher are crankin'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon is beautiful Debi; lovely picture yes indeed, and just like you - inside, outside, all around; I love the picture of you singing your heart out - I can almost hear it! Very nice pics., and commentary as always! Hugs, joxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think we were singing 'every move i make' by the david crowder band.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hello hello! i think of you all the time, and am so glad to catch up with your doings here. florida? things move so fast! hope you have an exciting and fun time. glad everything is going so well debi....xo dani

    ReplyDelete