Tuesday, November 22, 2011

goggle eye fish


 
Yesterday I was inside when I suddenly heard Moto, our dog, barking
which to us is equilelant to a doorbell because when anyone
comes to the gate he lets us know.

I went outside to see our neighbour's son, O'Neil
standing at the gate with a plastic container in his hand.
I will be honest:  my first thought was CAKE???!

But it wasn't cake it was fish.
Goggle eye fish.  
6 whole little fish ... cleaned
but with their heads and tails and scales still on.
Now I am going to be honest again:
I can't stand to eat fish that is looking back at me
Especially one named 'goggle eye' because truly they 
have the BIGGEST eyes I have ever seen on a fish.

So I asked O'Neil to come inside and cut the heads off.
He did.


Later I went over to take some money over to my neighbour
to pay for the fish.
I know that they don't have alot of money so I thought that I should pay.
When I walked up her steps, and into her house they were all gathered around
frying up fish, and eating it happily.
I handed her the money and she said,
Oh Miss Debi, don't be insultin' me.  I don't wan yor money. 


At times I think... boy I still have so much to learn.
They may be poor but they are so giving, and I can't embarrass them
by paying for our friendship.
I think to myself.. if one of my friends brought me over a cake 
(yeah yeah.. I want cake!)
I wouldn't PAY them for it.  
That would be ridiculous so why do I do that here?
Because I know they need it.
But they are still my friends and Carol is right:
it is insultin'
Living and learning.

So ...  goggle eye fish are a very very special treat!!
They are only available for a short time every year.
They are only found out Punta Gorda way and they come through
the reef in HUGE schools and are caught with a net.
Apparently islanders LOVE goggle eye fish.

Carol gave me the low down on how to cook them:
heat the oil good and hot,
put on some salt and pepper
and lots of lime and fry em up.
Then she looked at me and smiled saying,
"I remember when you told me that you liked little fish,
well the goggle eye she be little!"

Delicious.
Lots of bones but delicious!!!


I am blessed.
I had said to Bob that I wanted some fish and then
the following day it comes to my door.
A coincidence?

No
God~ is ~ good!!!




1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing Debi. Such a loving gesture by your neighbour. The fact that she remembered you saying you like little fish and then sharing their special treat bounty ... just like a friend. Yes we do have a lot the learn. My Mexican friend Magda stuggles and I had contemplated giving her money but I know she would be upset by that, so instead I give her gifts for her house, her son and her mother. I still don't know if she's embarrassed about the gifts. She has blessed me in return by including me in the personal life. I'v been invited to her son's school to watch a play, had dinner at her house and was invited to dinner at her mom's house in the colonia. They are all so poor but sharing is a greater gift than any amount of money could buy. Yes, we do have a lot to learn.

    love you
    xxx Bonnie xxx

    ReplyDelete