Monday, March 7, 2011

carlos' birthday and other news

Hi again ... after a long sabbatical of writing!   Writing is a habitual thing for me but the problem is this: once I get out of the habit of writing it is hard to get back to it.  We have been so busy these days: almost too busy for the caribbean life!!   I was 'under the weather' for a while there.   I thought it was a parasite but it turned out just to be some nasty bacteria that was making me sick.   I am thankful for Dr. Raymond who ran the necessary tests and gave me the medication to eradicate the problem.  I am feeling so much better these days!

 Today is Carlo's birthday so I thought I should write and honour him as 'the best gardener' in the world!!!  We really thank God for him.  He has integrity, a kind heart, a love for God and a helpful spirit.  So this morning when he came to work I made him the breakfast of his choice:  anything he wanted!  He opted for a baleada:  a soft tortilla, scrambled eggs, hot sauce, refried beans, honduran white cheese (like parmesan) and avocadoes.   I also made him a cake but we will take that up to his house at 4:00 pm to share with his family.

carlos now 19 years old and still 'trusting' God daily
We are happy to say that he is doing very well in school.  I don't know how he manages to work all day (til 4:00 pm) and then rush up to the colonia, eat and then be back down for evening school at 6:00 pm.   They recently had to move to another place, higher up in the colonia that doesn't have any electricity so just the other day I gave him one of our oil lanterns so he can read and do homework in the evenings.

David is adjusting well to life in roatan.  He is volunteering on Tues. and Thursday in a mentoring/tutoring program at the church in French Harbour.   He also subbed one day at a school in French Harbour.  He said they were the best grade 5's ever!!  It was a good experience for him. 

 

He is currently helping our friend Edwin, edit some footage for a tv program here on the island called "Pure Gospel".  He also had the chance to play at the Rchurch with the worship band.


The other day Jeanette and I had planned to go get our hair cut by Brenda, a lady who has a salon across from the Reco Electric Company just past Los Fuertes.   But unfortunately when we went there it was closed.  I don't know about you but when I want a haircut it is because it is LONG overdue.   So we went in search of another place.  Jeanette needed to pick up some stain at Ace Hardware and I decided to ask the girls who work there where they get their haircut.  They gave us vague instructions to Lucy Salon de Belleza in French Harbour... "it is a little yellow place on the seaside"   We found it.  Lucy, unfortunately doesn't speak much English so we resorted to looking in books for a haircut.   I found a cute short cut and decided to take the plunge and get something different.  It is soooo much cooler!!!
 




Bob and I took some 'time off' a couple of weeks ago and went for a trip through the mangroves with Mel and Dusty (some volunteers from Canada who helped build a house here) .  Here we are relaxing and enjoying each other's company.   I am so thankful for Bob!    We continue to thank God for the opportunity to serve the people here in this beautiful place!

No comments:

Post a Comment