Saturday, February 13, 2010

always with you

Today David and I were driving along the road in Sandy Bay when I saw Melvin walking down the road.
He is a  wood carver who puts things in our shop and I had seen some wood on the beach so I stopped, pulled off the road slightly, and proceeded to tell him about it.

His face brightened up greatly when he said, Look what I found on the beach the other day!
He reached into his shirt and pulled out a silver angel that he had put on a little chain around his neck.  If you have seen Melvin's paintings you will know that he paints angels into alot of his work.  They are special to him.

So there he was grinning away, and then he turned it over and it on the back was inscribed,
"always with you"

He was so delighted with this unexpected gift from the sea that he collapsed in joy upon my arm as I leaned out the window to see it.   I smiled and said, "Yes Melvin He is always with you..."

"That's right.  He is!!"   Then he started to jump up and down for joy and as I looked in my rear view mirror I could see him walking happily along with his arms up in the air in gratitude to God.

The scene was so poignant and touching to me.  Such a simple thing.   Yet such a  profound thing.

It is one of the things I love about island people:  they aren't shy to share what is going on with them.
Big things.  Little things.  They share.  If it important to them then they believe it will be important to us and you know what, it is!   I wonder what would happen if we were more open to share more openly and more freely about the things that bring us pleasure.   I think the world would be a better place, don't you?


 
here is a picture of melvin with bob and his grandson


I thank God for Melvin.
May he know His presence ... always with him...
and so may you know that too.
Always with you...
Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment