Sunday, February 1, 2009

a few new things

We have a new place that we are renting. It has a fantastic view, more space and we are enjoying the change. (although of course I miss Pepsi, the best dog in the world!)







We have a new gardener named Luis. He is quite the character and is a blessing to have around. I realized, quite by surprise that I had taken a picture of him and his 'espousa' while riding double on his bike on the beach I had taken that photo in Sept. and here is in our world 5 months later. I showed him the photo, and he was so excited. How amazing is that????



Since then he often comes to the door saying, "photo, photo!!" Let's see, he has gotten me to photograph an iguana he found.

He also brought a snake he accidentally chopped in half while clearing the property with his machete, (yes i took a pic but you don't want to see it.. trust me!!)and a picture of him climbing a 30 foot tree to get some fruit for our friends.
He climbed to the TOP !!

We have a new room mate: Lindsay Tufts has come and is staying with us for a couple of months while she works at the Clinic Esperanza. It is wonderful to have her here with us! We look forward to sharing life together and showing her around the island. Btw, last night she made the BEST nachos I have ever had!! Thanks again Linds



I started a new Bible study with a small group of island women.We meet on Saturday's at 4:00 at Zenola's in Coxen Hole. I am teaching them about the value of spending regular quiet time with God. They are hungry. I love it! Teaching His word is one of my greatest joys in life. Yesterday a spanish lady came so that meant teaching via translation. That is interesting. I just hope the lady who is translating is actually saying what I said!! :-) (sorry no picture of them... maybe next week I will bring my camera)

We have a new dog on the property. His name is Moto. When we first came to look at this place he was very aggressive and nipped at me several times and jumped up on me. But he has settled down nicely (feeling him helps!!!)


We have new gardens and flowers to enjoy too.

Lots of new critters to enjoy too! Geckos are great because they eat bugs!



We have a new hummingbird feeder! Truly a deep sense of joy to watch them!
I bet you didn't realize that hummingbirds STOP once in a while. That is why I bought that feeder with the perches. The only problem is that I left it out over night and the BATS ravaged it, taking all the nectar in one night and the little rascals managed to take off two of those yellow plastic flower thingys (so there would be a bigger hole to steal sweetness ) and now every morning my feeder is full of ants, and dead floating bees. I guess it is a pretty good way to go for them....! :-) I went looking for the plastic things in the yard but folks..it's a jungle out there. So now I have another feeder but no little perches.

Oh just one thing. I am known for asking really silly questions (you know the kind of questions you ask without thinking) Well Lindsay seems to have the same propensity. We were sitting out on the deck yesterday finishing breakfast and of course the hummers were there too enjoying the morning and flittering around the feeder. She asked "Do hummingbirds have legs?!" I almost died laughing. Sorry Linds but it is nice to have someone ask a question that I can laugh at!! But to her defense let me say that it appears they don't stop and they flutter so fast you really can't see their legs. So if you have ever wondered... the above picture is to clear things up: yes they have legs!!

One of the Pastors here has dengue and malaria so Bob got a call yesterday to preach at the Sonrise. Of course he said yes. I am looking forward to hearing him open the Word. One of the things I miss the most about not pastoring (officially) is listening to him preach regularly. Please pray for Pastor Chuck.. he is very ill right now. Thanks so much.


Have a great Sunday.

That is about all the newness that I can think of. Oh... and the newness within my heart but I can't photograph that. Just share it.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the updates Debi. Always a joy to have a glimpse into your world. I have tried my darndest to find your broken dock on Google Earth, but I can't zoom in close enough. I'v narrowed it down though, because I found the Sonrise Church and remember you saying it's about a 10-15 min. walk from your house. So I have randomly picked a roof amoungst the trees and named it 'Debi's house'. I say Hi" quite often.
    love ya
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the pic on the bike. that is a classic shot for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, that was trent above.

    ReplyDelete