Friday, February 27, 2009




One of the highlights this month has been having company with us. As I mentioned earlier Lindsay is staying with us for a couple of months and she is such a delight to have around. It seems like so long ago when Lindsay was in the 'kids club' that I helped lead and now all these years later here she is serving on the island.


It was also great to have Amy Marshall visit us. We enjoyed sharing the island with her. Taking her to an island church (which surprisingly reminds us sooo much of City Heights), and after that we took her to eat at the restaurant called the View. So this was one of her first 'impressions' of the islands.. let's just say she was pretty 'blown away'

We enjoyed going to the markets, snorkling to the reef, eating coconut shrimp that I bought the same day, shopping like tourists, going on beach walks, and enjoying all the flora and fauna of the island. We had a rousing game of apples to apples and Lindsay was crowned the 'winner!!'. In the photo we are supposed to have all grumpy faces, and some people just cracked up laughing instead. It was a really fun night!!


My only regret is that it didn't work out for Amy to deliver the toys, vitamins and other necessities that she brought down. We had it arranged that she would go with our friend Nidia to Hottest Sparrow (a very needy area on the island) to deliver them but it just work out. It is just one of the things we experience on the island.. manana .. manana. It was just a shame that she wasn't able to be apart of that. Once my toe heals up that we will take Lindsay out there and bless the people.


Oh yeah speaking of toes...I don't know if you ever had an ingrown toenail? If you have then you will relate to the agony it can bring. I decided to have half the nail removed since it kept getting infected.

Here is Lindsay taking my vitals prior to the surgery.



Bob played photographer ..extraordinaire. Sorry if this is a bit graphic... he took lots of pics but thought this captured the 'cutting'. Ugh.

So the last few days I have been close to home. I am so thankful to have my own personal nurse here who is so willing to change the bandage daily. Thanks Lindsay. It is still oozing at the bottom part where the nail was removed but the pain is lessening each day and I am able to walk around without hobbling too much.

It has been hard to even put on shoes so I have been pretty close to home. One thing that I have been enjoying is acquainting myself with the hummingbirds that frequent our back deck. I started to stand about 10 feet away and at first they wouldn't feed if I was there but over the last few days of me lounging nearby their feeder they have been very comfortable with me. In fact today I sat about 1 foot away from them and at times I was about 6 inches away. Needless to say I have gotten some amazing photos of them.





One thing about not going out is that I have been blessed with visitors more. The other day Tia came over and while we were sitting at the table on the deck one little hummingbird came and flew right up to my face and hovered there as if to say It was as if he was saying... "ummm... I am thirsty, where is my sweet drink?"
I made more nectar and refilled the feeder and this was my reward for a bit of kindness.


Keep giving.. to whoever, whatever... the small act of kindness is always rewarded.
And about thirst... John 7:37 sums it all up...

Bob has been diligently working on our website, and it has been grueling work since html isn't our first language and the whole thing isn't as easy as it looks. Hopefully it will be ready be next week. I have been going through my photographs trying to find ones that would be suitable. We have been grateful to be able to help with worship at various churches, do Bibles studies, pray with people and recently Bob has been teaching guitar to a couple of worship leaders at the church. He has been very involved in mentoring and helping one of the island men here.

A day rarely passes when I don't stop and thank Him for this amazing opportunity to live and serve on this island. It just feels so 'right'. I think I may be spoiled for life though because truthfully I can't imagine actually weathering a Canadian winter again, but I guess we will cross that bridge when that time arrives.

In the meantime we will arise each day with a sense of expectancy and gratitude for being able to have the 'time of our lives!'

Blessings to each of you too. I want to thank you for any prayers you lift on our behalf, we appreciate it and are grateful for your support as we choose to live the light on this island.

Thanks...

1 comment:

  1. Good morning my little island girl: thanks for sharing glimpes into your day. Surgery pictures - cool. It's amazing how much it throbs isn't it. Thankfully it's easing up.
    love ya
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete