Sunday, March 30, 2014

A wigga?? what is that??!

The other day while at the Made in Roatan shop we were taking a break for lunch.   Esther, Lora and I were sitting on a bench eating.  Bob walked into the shop and made a comment about us being like a cookie:  vanilla, chocolate, vanilla (white, black, white)

Then Esther said, Oh no,  this is how it is:  a wigga, a islander and an american.

A wigga? What is that???!

So here is the conversation:

Esther:  Miss Debi you are a wigga!
Debi:  What is a wigga?
Esther:  A wigga is a white person who acts like a black person.
Debi:  Oh  is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Esther:  For you it is a good thing because you are black in your soul.  You love us.  You love our food, our music, our language, our culture!!
Debi:  Oh okay so it's okay to be a wigga?
Esther:   Some people try to be black but they aren't but  you are.  You are one of us.

Who  knew???  :-)

I went on to explain that I have always loved black culture.  While in Africa I fit right in.  In Nova Scotia there is a large black community that was moved from the heart of Halifax out to Preston and we often went to church there.    My friends back there used to say I was a 'black wannabe'

The more I study about classes I believe it isn't really a black or a white issue but it is an issue of poverty. 

 I was raised up poor.   Really poor by Canadian standards and the way I was raised has had an effect on me even to this day. The poor value people more then things, they don't mind sharing (even food or drink) The poor don't make appointments to visit,  they just show up at your door. They are honest.. sometimes to a fault.  If they are late it is usually because they have been talking to someone.  They may not have much materially but they are rich in relationships and also rich in faith.

 So I really fit in here because most of the above statements is how I have lived my life for years.  While in Canada I had to learn not to be late so much and also to filter my honesty but here it is okay.

  Over the years of being here I have also learned to speak island (cajun/bad english) and it comes natural for me now.  I don't even think about it anymore.

A wigga?  Yup and glad to be one!!  :-)

island coolness (Esther is the one the right)


No comments:

Post a Comment