Thursday, February 17, 2011

no internet and lots of rain!

Life changed on Sunday!   The rain began to fall relentlessly and we lost our internet connection at the same time.   So for the past 5 days we have been hunkered down, with the rain pouring down, sometimes with no power.  Although it is hard to take I must admit that I love the rain and it is so important for the local folks to get their cisterns filled up before the dry season hits us hard!

this was the first day the clouds came and we have not seen sun or blue sky for almost a week


We had 2 Canadians fly in on Sunday to help with a house build with Alternative Missions.  You can read about the house built at that link.  They arrived tired and luggage-less.   We finally got their luggage yesterday!   Yes you read that right!!!   That is 4 days without luggage.  I gave Mel a pair of my undies one night and later in bed I chuckled thinking she is going to swim in them!!!   So the next day  we took a trip to Coxen Hole to Carrion to buy some personals and a trip to a second hand shop for tshirts.   Why would it take soooo long for their luggage to arrive?   Even small planes can't fly in bad weather and so they had to wait for the weather to lift.  I am sad to say that there was a plane crash on Valentine's Day on the Mainland and 14 people lost their lives.  You can read about it here

Weather affects everything here.  Internet stops.  Why, I don't know!   Ships can't bring in groceries.  Planes from the Mainland can't fly in.   So our little island becomes quite insulated.

I didn't even go out for Valentine's Dinner with Bob because alot of the restaurants are open air and I couldn't bear getting dressed up and battling the driving rain and cold.   I am getting to be a softy I know!!!We opted to stay home and enjoyed a nice chicken dinner with david, emily g, dusty and mel.

On Monday morning I was out walking through the garden in lovely drizzle looking at my flowers. The rain had left her beautiful mark on all the vegetation.

the rain left her jewels everywhere
Suddenly I saw two young guys dressed in uniform walk up to the gate.  It was my neighbor's boys coming to get the book bags and school supplies for school.  I thought school started on Tuesday but I was wrong and they needed it right away.  I went over to their place to get a photo of all of them but the girls didn't go to school til the afternoon and when I asked for a photo they gave me a 'look' that said, we aren't dressed up, our hair is a mess' so I just took it of the girls.  I thank Tami and many other island friends for helping out this family.   We were able to get 6 kids suited up in school uniforms and shoes, plus all their school supplies.   They were thrilled and I thank you for your generosity!   It made a difference for this family!




With no internet, and no cruise ships I took the liberty to settle in for some serious reading time.   It is wonderful to make a nice cup of tea and settle in to read.  I am happy to have a library close by!!  What makes it so miserable isn't just the rain because anyone can handle that but it is the mud that sweeps down from the hills which makes walking treacherous and messy!

the semi circle is the mud flowing down from the colonia into the sea!!

hang on mr. heron.. the rain is coming in torrents!!!


Due to the rain, the house build was also put on hold.  We basically all hung out here, reading, playing dutch blitz,  watching tv, doing puzzles and sharing meals together.

 Yesterday they were finally able to start the house build!  How exciting!   Unfortunately poor Dusty and Mel came home with tired and RED bodies as I don't think they were expecting the sun to make her appearance after so many days of rain but it did.   We put on cold compresses to get the heat out of their bodies and then after dinner sent them to their rooms armed with aloe vera from the garden to slather on.

Yesterday David and I decided to take a girl we met at Seadancer for  a tour of the east side. We had been trying for days to find a good day to go but the rain was relentless and unforgiving, so since she was leaving the next day we decided to go to the east side regardless of the weather!  What a wonderful day we had!!  I was deeply grateful when the sun burst out just as we were driving towards Jonesville to go on a tour of the mangroves.  It was simply glorious out on the water and yes I did thank Him!!  ;-


david and kristin going through the mangroves

me with some of the kids from punta gorda

Today is laundry day as the rain has stopped and I think it is dry enough for things to dry on the line.
So I best go and tackle that!


1 comment:

  1. Debi,
    I am so sorry that we did not get to meet you when we were in Roatan, we left on Sunday the 13th before all of that rain. I loved the island but was sick while there so had to make a trip to see Nurse Peggy at the clinic. I have given your info to our dear friends Alan & Tashya Dunn who own a place at Infinity Bay. They also dream of retiring in the island some day.
    Ruth Langille ( Cheryl Young's sister )

    ReplyDelete