Sunday, February 6, 2011

a fire and a trip to punta gorda

A week ago Saturday I went to a Bible Study at Laura's in West Bay and I met a pediatrician named Beverly who was here volunteering at the clinic.   I asked if she had seen the East Side of the Island and she said she hadn't.  What a shame I thought, what a shame!  

So I offered to take her out Friday on her last day at the clinic since she was leaving the island the following day.   All was planned for us to go after she was finished at the clinic sometime in the early afternoon.   

I was just getting ready to go when Carlos came to the door and 
"hay un fuego mal!!"
(there is a bad fire!)
he was so stressed and was filling up a bucket with water and then heand ran off down the hill.
I hollered at Bob and David and we all ran down to the beach.
Carlos puts alot of brush by the fence at the bottom of our property by the beach
and I was shocked at the amount of smoke and fire that was blazing!
We all rallied together filling up buckets from the sea.
I am deeply grateful for the boys next door who helped us tirelessly.
The fence is really quite high so two of the boys climbed up on the fence
in order for us to pass them up a bucket of water,
they would jump down and douse the fire.
We did that endless times! 
Bob worked right at the fire site racking and digging to put out the fire!
The sun was hot, the fire was hot but we all worked to get the fire out.
The fence along the side was burnt and one banana tree went down but the 
property was safe.
At one point, David left his 'post' and went up to get us pineapple juice.
I am telling you it never tasted better!!!

Beverly called in the midst of the fire and I told her about the fire
and said I would get back to her later.
It was close to 3:00 pm before we got it out but still I felt in my heart
to take her to the East Side.
After a quick shower, and lots of cool water
we jumped in the car and headed out

Bev took this photo:   Punta Gorda, April 12, 1797!
 
click to view large

 If you asked me why I love the East Side it is easy to answer:
  I love the simple life and the easy pace
but there is something more:
I love the people!
I am meeting more and more people who are Garifuna and each time 
I go and visit them I am blessed by the joy in their eyes and the
warmth in their hugs.

I went looking for Pedro and his family in order to pay them for what sold in
the Made in Roatan shop.
We didn't know where they lived but I stopped the car and asked some young boys:
"do you know Pedro?"
no
"do you know Victor?"
no
"do you know Moses?"
yes!!
alright!!  
so off they pedaled on their bikes and we followed behind.

We had a good time visiting on the road, laughing
pedro brought some jewelry which of course we bought!

and exploring the beach.
David and Moses had such a good time together.
I love the beach at Punta Gorda.
Of course I bought a seashell (not that I need it)
but they need the money.
Some little kids played the drum for us and danced the punta.
David with Moses

Bev took this photo:   Punta Gorda, April 12, 1797!

David our photographer!    

Our drive home was just glorious.   The sweet evening light was on the trees and the palms and everything had a soft warm glow.   It was beautiful.


I was so sorry to see the day come to a close but I was so glad that we went.  Sometimes when we are tired, and we had fought fires it is tempting to say.. no I can't go.  I am so glad that I didn't say no.  Not only was it good to go for a visit to our friends in Punta Gorda but I enjoyed getting to know Beverly and hope to see more of her if she returns to the island again.

We ended to day meeting Bob, Emily G, Kathryne and Paul at Pizza Inn.. a perfect way to end a Friday!!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for a wonderful afternoon/ evening on Friday 2/4. I enjoyed meeting your friends; seeing Roatan and the east end through your eyes was a treat, and will remember it for a long time.
    Beverly

    ReplyDelete