Friday, May 7, 2010

Where's my head?

You ever have one of those days where you keep either misplacing things, dropping things, or forgotting what you were doing?
You do?  Good read on.   :-)

Yesterday Melissa came by early at 7:00 since they needed to get the windshield fixed in their vehicle.  Just to give you an idea of one of the hazards of living here:  some of the hills are so steep that a generator in the back of a vehicle unfortunately could roll hard and smash out the back car window.  Yup that's what happened.   So... we dropped her vehicle off at the garage and headed out to do errands.  The tricky part is that nothing was open at that hour and I was starving.  I know, I know.. I forgot to EAT!   But I did remember that the Sandy Bay Carwash was open early and they had a little 'restaurant' next door that served up good island food.  So we headed there.  I love those little island eating places because there isn't any menu.   Basically, (in Spanish) you find out what they have made.  Pastellitos... umm.. no thanks too greasy first thing in the morning.  I saw eggs and I knew they'd have refried beans (who doesn't?? oh you don't... oh yeah well in Honduras it is as common as peanut butter)   So I had her make a lovely breakfast of scrambled eggs, refried beans, fried plaintain (which was done to perfection!),and avocado.  It was delicious!   So I was able to get the car washed (inside and out) and have breakfast for under 9.00 .. my goodness!

So with all that good nutrious food in me when did i start to lose my head?  Well I guess it was after wandering through the market looking for shoes for Melissa's twins, it was after going to Warren's to get groceries.   We were just at the parking lot and for a better visual it isn't: paved, large with painted lines. It is a small little lot with gravel and a guy in the booth collecting my 15L (75 cents).   Yes it was there was I saw some tourists taking an awesome shot of a cruise ship so I decided to go over and take one too.
 where all the problems began....


I put my bag of groceries down and the lady asked me if I was on the ship.  When I told them I live in Roatan they were surprised and   asked if I knew where they could buy a "harley davidson" tshirt.  Oh of course!!   At West End at the tshirt shack.   I told them we were just killing time waiting for Melissa's vehicle to get fixed and we'd drive them there.   They agreed to go, all along joking about us kidnapping them.  Once they knew what we were doing they said the story got even better:   missionaries kidnapped us!   They got their tshirt, and we had a good time walking and talking. 

a funny sign we saw in west end

We dropped them off at the cruise ship and they were thrilled.  They gave me a $20.00 tip which I refused, which they insisted, which I refused.  It wasn't a tour, it was just something for us to do.  They insisted and won.   Nice folks.    Once they left I said to Melissa.. oh my goodness my lettuce that I got at Warren's is going to be all 'wilty'.   Melissa started to dig around and that is when I realized that I had left my bag of groceries on the ground in the parking lot when I took the photo and in the excitement of meeting those people.   Oh brother!  So begins the losing of my head!

So someone, somewhere in Roatan is enjoying rice milk, probably for the first time.  I doubt if they are enjoying my lettuce since it will probably be bad and they don't eat salad.  But they can use the garbage bags and the dish soap!   We decided to go   to Plaza Mar (the other grocery store) to get my stuff that I needed since it was close to the garage.   I got everything I needed and then some!  I got some great cheeses there:  smoked gouda and spicy pepperjack.    YUM!  When we got in the car I  asked Melissa to get us some of that cheese since we was starving.   She said, What cheese??! 

I couldn't believe it?!  I left my cheese in the store!!   She checked my bill and I hadn't even bought the cheese!  (although I waited at the deli for about a half hour for it!)  I am not sure what I did but I think I must have put it down somewhere while Melissa was talking to Henry.  I guess that is why you should always get a cart because holding all that stuff gets tiring.

I ended up going back to the store, found my nicely sliced cheese, smiled sweetly at the little spanish boy who was probably wondering why I didn't get the cheese he cut for me .. so perfectly... no delago??  (not too thin?  no .. not too thin!) 

All I can say is I am glad that couple gave me that 20.00.. it helped with all the gas I used driving hither and yon trying to find the stuff I lost!! 

I hope today is better.   We are meeting a couple from Florida at the cruise ship and showing them around the island.  Oh it will be fine.. Bob will be driving!  :-)


i see i am not the only one who lost my head!!  :-)

1 comment:

  1. All the time! I'm half convinced some days I'm 3 steps away from Shady Pines and being forced into playing Bingo against my will.
    Umm ... what was I talking about???
    Never mind... =]

    Holly

    http://midwesternmamah.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete