Thursday, May 13, 2010

thanks for giving

Last week one of our friends that we took out on a tour gave us some money to 'help someone' on the island.
I have kept that money in trust, believing that He would make it clear who needed some extra help and encouragement.

I was talking outside with our neighbor the other day and she introduced me to a lady who was helping her clean.    The more I listened to her story, the more convinced I was that I should help her.   We talked for a long time, I listened, we prayed together.   She and her family have had such a hard time lately.  No work for her husband, she has struggled in her life and even contemplated suicide.   She is trying to keep her head up.   Her little daughter is sick.   She came to Liliana today to work trying to just make end's meet. 

Depression is an ugly thing that bites us when we least expect it.   That dear woman needed encouragement in a tangible way.  I believe in prayer.  I do.  I believe He comes in the midst of our struggles and brings peace.  But I also believe in providing practical help too.   I asked if she had food at home.  She said no.  She told me that after she worked today she would get something to eat for her family.  Now I know how much a maid makes in a day and it isn't much.  

So I told her about Don and Judy who visited the island from Florida and before they went back on the cruise ship they gave us some money to help someone on the island.  I smiled and said, Maria, you are that someone today!!!   I think it took her a few minutes to realize what I meant.  I told her to come back to the house after she was done working and we would go to the grocery store together.

She arrived a few hours later, very sweaty and hot.  We took a little walk down the street to the local store and began to put food on the counter.   Rice, beans, flour, spagetti, tomatoes, avocados, bread, milk, eggs... on and on.. the food piled up.  I admit... I got a little carried away.   I spent more than what they gave me but to be honest I felt right about it:  I felt that woman needed the storehouse of heaven to open up WIDE and bless her and it did!

Thanks Don and Judy for sharing and giving... it has made a difference for this one family.   She left me smiling and assured that indeed she is not alone.   He does hear the sound of her voice and longs to sooth her tears and her burdens.

No comments:

Post a Comment