Saturday, July 11, 2009

Water water water... I hope you enjoy it!
In North America you have so much that it's easy to forget the wonder of having LOTS of it.

Presently we are really LOW on water. We are on community water and when we are in the DRY season there just isn't alot of water. In fact, the water is sooo stinky that showering is a bit of a gross event. Imagine this: you get wet, shut off the shower, open the curtain (for fresh air!), wash, put on the shower, hold your breath, rinse, and get out as quick as possible. One of the challenges of living on an island I guess....

BUT here is the UP SIDE!! We had the well dug and now the guys are finally here to do the wiring and set up new pipes and soon, as of Monday (so they say!) we will have clean well water.

I am excited beyond anything!!

So please please please enjoy your water. Enjoy the excess. Enjoy being able to drink from the tap. Enjoy being able to stand out in your garden and water lavishly. Enjoy taking long hot showers and actually feeling clean when you get out. Enjoy watching kids play in it!

Our water is so gross that I didn't even want to wash clothes in it. So... I heard there was a lady in the Colonia who does laundry and I thought.. oh yeah for sure!!

I am posting a picture of a sweet girl I met that day. I am sorry I can't remember her name. She told me but sometimes Spanish names are hard to recall... Isn't she beautiful? She has such a lovely sweet spirit. When I drove up in the yard she waved enthusiastically and then came running into my arms for a big hug. I hadn't ever met this girl but she was so open.. so longing for affection. She almost melted in my arms. She showed me these adorable little chicks and was happy when I took her picture.


I asked my friend why spanish kids are so open and loving with us and she said, well, they long for affection, they get showered openly by foreigners with love and also gifts and so they associate us with love and I guess that is a good thing for us to give isn't it? I wish we could be half as open.

Nothing else really matters.
The joy she had on her face reminded me of that.
She longs for love.
She lives simply in a one room house with her family. She doesn't have alot of toys. She doesn't go to dance class or frequent a mall but she has enough. And she still has hope that someone may reach into her world and love her. And she has sweet little chicks...

Imagine if that was all we really wanted! What a world it would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment