Thursday, July 16, 2009

some good news!

Good news~! The electrician came and did all the wiring for the new well so that means fresh water!! OH JOY!! It is the simple things and we are very grateful for fresh clean water and lots of it!! :-) We found out there was a dead iguana in the well (once they cleaned it all out.. could that contribute to the smell?? yes!) ewwwwwwwwwww.

Another piece of good news is that I got some contact lenses so I can see when I snorkel and yesterday I managed to get them in and go for a test snorkel. It was amazing! WOW! I was blown away to see tiny shells, little plants the size of my baby finger thumbnail, and miniscal fish! It will open up a whole other world.


I am going to post for pictures of Coxen Hole. I love going there. I know alot of people find our main town to be too busy, smelly and hectic, but I enjoy the energy. The traffic is crazy, people are everywhere walking or trying to sell things, horns are honking! I love it! The longer we live here too it is a great place to run into people we know. It is becoming more and more common to hear someone hollering our names.. "Mr. Bob, Miss Debi... Hola!!"


They are fixing the road by the airport and I caught these guys 'working'. Two sitting and one standing around!! At least the one guy is wearing his protective head gear!! Haha. We have taken Don and Jeanette's vehicle to Kia to get the A/C fixed (a much needed thing here!) so we keep going there when we are out to see if it is ready. They have told us "it be ready at 5:00 about 3 times now"! Apparently they sent the wrong part..such is life on the island.. manana.. manana!!


It isn't every where you see bras hanging around on Main Street but it is common here!




See the screen in the top right of this photo? Bob just lifted the screen and I took a picture of the kids as we were walking down the street.




This is a very common site: woman hanging around selling something.. anything they have. Could be baked goods, fruits, tamales, pastilletos.. they are very creative in making money. Looks like this lady is taking a break though.

This is their idea of small business: if it fits on your head it is small business alright!!! :-)
Here is the challenging thing. That woman is selling bras too and I am wondering 'where is the change room??? :-) This gives you an idea of the 'busyness' of Coxen Hole. The Street is one way and yet often it is more like 3 lanes of traffic, plus bikes, plus pedestrians... plus.. plus ... plus!!

Well I should go as we are going to St. Helene for the day. It is exciting! We are going with Jeremy and Melissa (plus her parents who are visiting) and one other family. J & M used to minister as missionaries on the island so it will be good to meet all sorts of people, go snorkeling, and have a great island lunch of lobster, conch and chicken!!!

Photos will come soon!

Have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Dead things in wells--ick! I remember one summer a long time ago and we discovered a whole bunch of ants living in our well here--I was totally grossed out!

    So glad to hear the contacts are working for you-it will be wonderful to see when you snorkel.

    ReplyDelete