Thursday, July 23, 2009

St. Helene adventures



Sorry for not writing sooner but I haven't been well lately. It has been a bit of a mystery lately as to what is wrong. I have been unbearably itchy lately.. a deep, hot kind of itch with no rash. Just about drove me insane. Plus I have had a headache that refused to go away. Needless to say computer time was put on hold and I basically laid in bed with a fan blowing warm air on me. It turns out that it is my menopause kicking into full gear (sorry guys) Oh joy!

I am posting some pictures of a trip we took to St. Helene. It is a small island just off of Roatan. It is separated from Roatan through some mangrove swamp to the eastern side of Port Royal. St. Helene is not a heavily populated area and is inhabited by English speaking locals. The power source in St. Helene is typically generated by solar power or a diesel generator. However, with the changes in our local power company, there is a projection to bring power from the main island of Roatan to St. Helene, Morat and Barbaret. The communities of the island do work together to supply water to the homes in the area. There are no cars on St. Helene at this time, so there are no real roads for vehicle traffic. People travel mostly on foot or by boat when they need to get from one destination to another.

We took a boat over with Jeremy, Melissa (who used to serve as missionaries on the island 10 years ago), their twin boys, Melissa's parents, my friend Zenola, another family of 5

The boat ride over was the craziest, roughest, fastest boat ride ever!! I don't get scared easy but I admit I was nervous!! The waves were HUGE!



a typical scene will houses and shops scattered along the shore

took this for all the "Kathy's" in our family!

Matt enjoyed the ride! I still had my camera out but had to put it away as the waves were so high that they were coming over and INTO the boat!! OH MY!

We brought our friend Zenola with us and she was able to meet some family that she hadn't seen in over 20 years!

We walked over to the north side of the island along the shore, over the ridge, through the jungle green and had an island lunch of lobster, rice, conch and cole slaw.

making our way over to the other side of the island
a very poor area of the island

it was great for melissa and jeremy to visit with old friends. here she is with one of the girls she used to know.

lunch anyone?? these boys had just caught these and were cleaning them on the beach. such is life on the island!

Zenola enjoying some shade while waiting for lunch to be ready

matt and paul making their way to the place where we had lunch. life is simple there.

we all got tooooo much sun. i usually don't burn but I sure did that day! OH MY! I didn't realize how far we'd be walking to get to lunch so didn't put on sunscreen.
you never know what Bob will find will 'beach combing' but this is a first!!




Here is a link that will give you more idea what Alternative Missions has been doing on St. Helene

http://www.alternativemissions.com/Content/Documents/STM%20Documents/Helene%20STM%20Packet.pdf

I am glad we had the opportunity to explore this little island of St. Helene. Thanks for coming 'along' for the journey with us. I trust all is well. Blessings to you all.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Debi - could I get your email address, I have something to forward to you? Thanks.
    Great reading your blog regularly. What an adventure in the Lord!
    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! Forgot to give you ours - pbspady@telus.net
    Thanks.
    B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - sounds like a great little adverture. Boating Atikokan style: big boat, big waves, go fast, get wet and no life jackets. Even though I have a fear of water over my head, I really do enjoy boating, especially if it involves fishing.
    love ya muchly
    xx Bonnie xx

    ReplyDelete