Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Aslan is on the move!



Who is Aslan?  If you have read C.S. Lewis book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe you will remember.  But if you haven't, then  read this quote:

"And now a very curious thing happened.  None of the children knew who Aslan was any more the you do; but the moment the Beaver had spoken these words everyone felt quite different. Perhaps it has sometimes happened to you in a dream that somone says something which you don't understand but in the dream it feels as it it has some enormous meaning -- either a terrifying one which turns the whole dream into a nightmare or else a lovely dream,  too lovely to put into words, which makes the dream so beautiful that you remember it all your life and are always wishing you could get into that
dream again.  It was like that now.  At the name of Aslan each one of the children felt something jump in his inside.  Edmund felt a sensation of mysterious horror.  Peter felt suddenly brave and adventurous.  Susan felt as if some delicious smell or some delightful strain of music had just floated by her.  And Lucy got the feeling you have when you wake up in the morning and realize that it is the beginning of the holidays or the beginning of summer. They say Aslan is on the move -- perhaps already landed."

I say Christ is in the move and He has indeed already landed!  We have been here for 7 years now, sowing seeds of of His love and His word, sacrifically giving, and listening and tending to hearts of the Island people.  Well, after Christmas we felt a shift.  I can't explain it but something changed for us. It wasn't anything we had done.  We hadn't fasted, or read a new book or went a retreat or seminar.  It wasn't us.  It was Him.

He is on the move.
I am excited to be a part of His team.
So how is He moving?  What is He doing?

Many of you are aware of Pedro's motorcycle accident which left him with a head injury, broken ribs and a broken wrist.   We were honoured to be close to him that he would feel comfortable staying in our home from Friday to Monday many times.  During those times I fed him pureed foods (since he bit his tongue in half), he laid on our couch resting, we prayed for him, and he watched countless hours of the movie "The Son of God."  On the morning of Jan 19th (our Emily's birthday) I was sitting in a livingroom with Pedro.   I looked at him and said, Pedro you have a big decision don't you?
He agreed.  We both knew what the decision was.  It wasn't about what school to attend, or what to wear it was the biggest decision of his life.  I simply asked, Quiere El? (do you want Him?)

He sat on the couch for a long time with his head in his hands.  Quiet.  Thinking.
I sat on the couch beside him.  Quiet. Praying

Then he looked up at me and softly said, Queiro El.
I want Him.

We read various verses in Spanish about His life, forgiveness and offer for salvation.
At one point I took a beaded iguana from Africa that I had bought.  I held it out to him and asked, Do you want this?  He smiled and said "Yes Miss Debi. I do."
I simply said, "Well take it"
He smiled broadly and said thank you.

I explained that God has given us a gift.  A gift of love, forgiveness and LIFE but our job is to take it.  To accept this beautiful free gift. God's part is to offer us salvation and our part is to accept.

Pedro smiled and said, Yes I want this gift!!

I called Bob over and told him.  We had Teresa visiting us from Texas and we all gathered around and heard Pedro's heartfelt prayer asking Him to forgive him and come be with him forever.
It was beautiful.

Later he looked at me and in broken english said, I am Peter and He is make me a fisher of men.




On March 8, 2015 Rubeen went forward to accept Jesus as her personal Lord and Saviour at church.   How exciting to be there to pray with her!!  I was overcome with joy!


Later in the afternoon we went out to Punta Gorda to visit the 4 families that had lost their homes to a fire.  As we walked the beach Rubeen found this shell and left it on the beach.   He does love us.  So.very.much.  Please pray for both Pedro and Rubeen...




No comments:

Post a Comment