Sunday, December 1, 2013

Advent : Waiting for the Shepherd

I have been lighting the advent wreath for over 20 years now.  It has always been a highlight for me.  For years our family would gather around the coffee table and together we would focus on the Christ in Christmas.
Advent 2004, Dartmouth, NS.


Advent is latin for the word 'coming'.  I love to make time for 4 Sundays before Christmas to remember His coming and to focus on His presence.  Since we have been lighting the advent wreath for so many years we have tried many different readings as we light the candles.   The most common is to focus on hope, peace, joy and love with different readings and prayers for each week.  We, as a family have chosen to taken 4 different characters from the Christmas story and focus on what we can learn from them.   Mary, Joseph, Angels, Shepherds.   I am in total awe that each year we are able to learn something new from these characters and readings.

This year I am doing something different, because I think change is refreshing and good.   You can come along with me if you like as we 'wait' for His coming together.  We wait for many things, don't we?  We wait for our coffee to brew, we wait in line, we wait for the doctor, but I am talking about a different type of waiting.  I am referring to an expectant longing, a deep desire to find Him in this season.  A yearning that only is fulfilled when we carve out moments of silence and we pray and read His beautiful Words to the gentle light of a single flame.

So tonight as lit the first candle we waited for the Shepherd. He always comes because a shepherd is faithful to His flock and when we wait, He comes.    One of my favorite psalms to read and recite is Psalm 23.  The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want, He makes me lay down in green pastures, He leads me beside quiet waters, He restores my soul, He guides me in paths of righteousness for His namesake.  Provision. Rest.  Restoration.  Guidance.   Oh the blessings of having a shepherd who carries us close to His heart.  No matter what the day holds, whether we face bad news, or stress of any kind there is One who carries us back to the fold. Yes please Lord, carry me back to the fold.  I wait for my Shepherd to once again speak peace to my soul...day after day after day.  And He does.

Please read these beautiful verses, slowly and reverently...
Psalm 80: 1-7 ~~~~ Isa. 40: 1-11  ~~~~  Rev 7: 9-17


As you read those verses there may be certain parts that seem to leap off the page to you.   For me I was so moved when Bob was reading Isa 40.

Get yourself up on a high mountain,
O Zion, bearer of good news,
Lift up your voice mightily,
O Jerusalem, bearer of good news;
Lift it up, do not fear.
Say to the cities of Judah,
Here is your God!”
10 
Behold, the Lord [i]God will come with might,
With His arm ruling for Him.
Behold, His reward is with Him
And His recompense before Him.
11 
Like a shepherd He will tend His flock,
In His arm He will gather the lambs

Like a shepherd He will tend His flock....isn't that a comforting image?   He is tending to me.  He is tending to you.  He is tending to your family.  He is tending to the homeless.  
     
 The word tend means to care for, watch over, look after.

This advent season I encourage you to let the sweet Shepherd take care of things.   Release  your cares to Him because He cares for you.  It is not your job to do everything.  There are many things to do during this Christmas season but let Him carry the bulk of the load.  Let Him tend to YOU!  Let Him carry you.  Let Him lead you and here is the beautiful part:  when you do this then you can stand on the high mountain and proclaim:  Here is your God!!!

Say to the cities, say to the towns, say to the islands, say to your family, say to your coworkers, say to your children, say to the wayward, say to the educated, say to the poor, say to the church: 
                             "Here is your God!"

The world is looking for someone who really believes that Emmanuel has come and is still present day after day.  They are looking for someone who is a bearer of good news!  Just think:  it could be you!  :-)

Blessed advent, wait for your Shepherd to come and carry you through so you can bear good news that indeed He has come!!  Hallelujah!  Blessings!





1 comment:

  1. So blessed to 'bear good news' with you my sweet lady!

    ReplyDelete