Saturday, June 8, 2013

Tupperware Blessing

Rubeen, me, Diana (at church)

The girls came to church last week.  It was funny that we all wore black and white.  This photo is like an oreo cookie.. chocolate with vanilla in the middle!

At one point during the service, we were all standing up there together for prayer and Rubeen (left) slipped her arm through mine.   That small gesture of  affection was so touching for me.   I would say of everyone in their family she has been the least 'connected with us'.   So to have her publicly link her slender brown arm through mine brought tears to my eyes.   I looked at her with glistening eyes and smiled as if to say thanks for loving me too.

Love takes time.  It isn't automatically there just because you help someone.   True love is never based on a condition anyways.  To win the heart of an islander is to gain a great prize. I remember once a lady asking me "How did you get the islanders to love you?"   I pondered and responded that it took time.  We sat on many porches, we listened to their stories with interest,(hours and hours at a time)  we learned to cook their food, we prayed with them and for them, we cried with them, we laughed with them, we didn't try to change them, we believed God to be the Father they need.    

He is a father to the fatherless!   This was proven once again after church today.  I had planned on picking up some tupperware that an american lady was selling.   I went to her place, and as we were leaving she said, I hope you don't mind but there is flour, rice and sugar in 3 of the containers.
I said, Oh no I don't mind. I will give it to our friends who are really struggling right now.  They will be happy to have that.
Then she asked if I thought they'd be offended if she gave them some things from her fridge.  Offended?   How about delighted?   Overwhelmed?   Grateful??

I explained that since the cruise ship has stopped coming that times are really tough on the island.   She opened her fridge and put in two unopened juice containers, some butter, some fruit, cheese, buns, yogurt, macaroni from Bojangles.  I left with a big bag of groceries.

I went to the car and said , "Hey girls, look at this.   Didn't I tell you He was a good Father??!"

When I told them that she thought they'd be offended they said, "Oh no Miss Debi, we is so happy!!!
 Can I have a bun???"
A bun?  That is enough to make them happy.  A simple bun.
  They drove home smiling and walked up the hill to their little place with food to eat.  It was like Christmas morning.

I drove home grateful to be a conduit for blessing to the people of Roatan.  His hands.  His feet.

Blessed  to be loved.   Blessed to be loving.

2 comments:

  1. Their delight in simple pleasures never ceases to humble me. We always give the maid in Mexico our food when we leave. It's amazing how a box of pancake mix and some maple syrup can bring tears to their eyes.

    love you Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. We forget too easily just how blessed we are in the first world.

    ReplyDelete