Monday, December 26, 2011

Christmas Food Drive 2011

Our first food drive Pandy Town, Fiddlers Bight, Barrio Lempira, El Bight, Lucy Point and Milton Bight



Our second food drive Mud Hole, Hottest Sparrow, Wild Cane, Man Trap, Spring Garden, Isla Bonita,Crawfish Rock

We weren't able to go out on this drive since we were volunteering at the Made In Roatan.   Thanks to Renee and Liyan for taking these photos.



Our last food drive:  The Barrinche, seniors in Flowers Bay, Pubberton, Brass Him and the Swamp

For the past few years we have been involved with an Island Wide Food Drive.  It is expanding and we were so grateful for the help of so many to make this happen.  The driving force behind this was Nidia Webster, a beautiful local girl and a host of volunteers who worked hard going around the island getting donations, packaging up the food, and handing it out to various communities.   The list is too long to thank.  I would also like to thank our friends who made a generous donation through the Made in Roatan online store and also for Kevin setting up the donation button.  I would also like to thank all the people on the cruise ships who put money into our 'donation' gourd... the total for that was 225.00.  WOW! 
Nidia checking her list and Santa helping!!
We handed out close to a 1000 bags of food and tons of toys and candy!

What were some of the highlights for me?   Well other then beautiful smiling, grateful faces and seeing communities and praying with people?   I want to tell you one story that really touched me personally.
We went into Pandy Town for the first time this year and I love to talk with the locals.  I was standing on the road and an older lady carrying an umbrella came up to me and thanked us for coming.  I told her that it wasn't much but I hope it helped.  She told me that she was a widow for 10 years and the Lord had been taking care of her all that time!  She said, "This isn't a little:  it is just what I need!"   Then again she thanked us for coming.  I told her that I almost didn't come today because I wasn't feeling well but I was glad I did.  She looked deep into my eyes, put her hands on my shoulders and said, "Whatza matter honey?"  Her love almost melted my heart.  I told her I had a bladder infection and was feeling really weak.  She wrapped her beautiful arms around me and started to softly pray for me that the Lord would give me strength and heal me and give me courage to keep reaching out to the people of the island.  I admit:  I cried.  In fact I sobbed.  I didn't realize how tired I was until I was in her arms, I didn't realize how much I missed my own Mom until she enveloped me.  But by the time she finished lifting me up to the Father above I felt stronger and with glistening eyes I told her that she had just made my day!!!  

I am so glad that I didn't stay home because the Lord knew I needed this woman's prayers and love. 
So grateful for her love to me when I least expected it.

When we give, we are blessed.
That is just one story of how I was blessed.  

Let me tell you one more while I am typing.  We went into Pollytilly Bight too for the first time.  I remember seeing a beautiful lady standing on the porch looking down on all the people and she was smiling.  She was so beautiful.  I took her photo because I was taken by her inner beauty. I could see the Lord in her.   Later she came around with a large plastic container full of molasses cookies, yucca cake, and johnny cake that she had made for us.   I was taken back by this woman's generosity to US!

The face of a daughter of the King


These people are so poor and yet they keep giving.  They keep praying, they keep loving, they keep giving.  What an example!

So Lord please bless the people of this island.  Lighten their loads, help them to know that You are providing for them.  That You are watching over them, that You know the hairs on their heads and that You will continue to take good care of them.  Strengthen them to continue to believe, to serve and to love as You love.   Amen!

1 comment:

  1. Your stories touch my heart, Debi, and now it's my turn to get up and find a tissue. I am so looking forward to meeting you and hearing more about the experiences you are having with the people of Roatan. I'm starting to wonder what God is going to do in our hearts and future by bringing us to Roatan and putting people like you in our lives. Hmmm. Life is always an interesting adventure with God at the helm, isn't it?
    We arrive New Year's Eve. I have that package from Betty and will bring it to the store as soon as I can. By the time that necklace is worn, it sure will have a lot of miles on it!

    ReplyDelete