Monday, August 31, 2009

Bob's Birthday!

It was a hot August night with every window open and every fan blowing when our friends starting arriving to help us celebrate Bob's birthday. We were thrilled to see so many of our friends come and join in the fun and festivities of honouring Bob on his big day!

Bob invited a group of friends from the bank and they were thrilled to come over!

When I asked what they wanted to drink and i said Coca Cola? and they gleamed and said... "Oh si!!! Coca Cola" I knew that if they could be that pleased with a simple thing like that that it would be a great night. They enjoyed themselves immensely. Bob met Espananza at the Bank and began to try to communicate with her. Little by little they were able to become friends. She has been over once before for a meal. The language is a bit of a barrier but we make do. They were teasing herbecause all she can say is "Hi Bob". But we had enough english/spanish friends so there was always translating of stories going on!

Zenola made a beautiful chocolate cake which we all enjoyed. Earlier in the day Bob went out to the store for me and I asked him to get some candles for the cake. He had a hard time finding them but found a kid's party store and was busy trying to describe what he wanted. They couldn't seem to understand so he motioned a circle with a cake, put up two fingers and blew. They exclaimed " OH Candela!!" They showed him some of those large number cakes and said, "Cinco Tres" They died laughing saying "You?? For YOU??!" I guess old men, sorry Bob, don't come into that store looking for candles for their cake in Roatan! They were still laughing as he left the store. He ended up getting some purple and turquoise candles!!

Many people brought him gifts even though I said, Please no gifts. I guess that is a custom here. I think he looks very stylish in his honduran hat and tshirt!! :-)



I was kept busy replenishing food trays. I made chicken wings, guacomole, filo pastry stuffed with chicken, veggies and fresh basil, fruit trays, veggie trays and lots of chips. Myra brought fresh coconut bread which was so delicious. Every one ate it all up. It was truly a treat.



me with zenola and myra. these two women make my time on the island so meaningful and fun. I thank God for them!!

the lighting of the cake and singing happy birthday in spanish!! it was wonderful!
a great birthday celebration!!


As I looked around the room I was pleased to see some many islanders comfortable and a part of our world. We felt called to the island people and after one short year we see that many of them have been touched by our faith and love and they have been a blessing likewise. Some of our French Harbour friends were so sorry to not be able to come. I guess that means we will just have to have another party soon.

Hey my birthday is coming soon.... that would be fun!!

1 comment: