Monday, July 4, 2011

Some new news!

I  realize I haven't written in quite a while.
We are in our 'slow season' right now and yet 
things haven't really slowed down they have just changed.


I am loving the changes though!
So what's new?
Well, as you may know we go to church in French Harbour,
and although they have alot of meetings during the week we usually just
go to church on Sundays to keep the cost of gas down for the long drive.
BUT, here's the bottom line:  we need fellowship!!
So we bit the bullet (not literally of course)
and we are now going into French Harbour on Wednesday nights
and it is very refreshing spiritually for us.
Bob was asked to teach on leadership to those in charge of various
ministries in the church so he does that while the rest of us 
(non leaders.. haha!)
enjoy a time of worship, the word and prayer.
It is sooo good!

celebrating canada day (roatan style!)


I have also just recently committed to meeting with 
another girl for one on one mentoring and fellowship.
We are doing an online study called
and it has been such a blessing.
Last week we focused on the importance of solitude
and I can honestly say that my times of quietness before Him
(I am not talking about bible study or prayer) 
but stillness before Him was incredibly rejuvenating!
It isn't easy for me to 'stop' but I am learning what it 
means to 'be still and know that He is God'

Part of the solitude is learning to listen
and DO what He prompts.
The other day, I woke up thinking about Harla who just had a baby
in the Roatan Hospital.
I felt Him prompting me to bring her some food since it isn't provided
and it is up to the family to bring in food for the patients.
I am so glad I went because that day was the day she was being
released from the Hospital and she didn't have any taxi money to get home,
nor did she have any clothes, blankets or diapers for the baby.

sweet little jarrod
Now before you go tsk tsk tsk you need to understand that the level of
poverty on this island forces people to live day to day.
I am reading a book right now called 
Understanding Poverty by Ruby Payne PhD 
and it is really helping me to grasp the depth of what they face
and what we can do to help them break out of the generational belief
that it will 'always be that way'

photography forces me to stop and see HIS beauty!


Another awesome new thing is that Emily has come to Roatan!
Yes that's right!
I am so happy to have her here.

emily reconnecting with buddy

She is going to be volunteering at the Library in French Harbour
working with Miss Joan in organizing and helping out with after school programs.
As you know, being away from the kids is very difficult for me so I 
am always grateful when they can come down!

Today we went snorkeling so I made a collage  for you to view.
It is a beautiful world down there isn't it?

click to view large
Another new thing is that I have been teaching
3 girls on the island how to make jewelry.
You can read about it here
if you haven't already.
I am so thankful for the generosity of the people who 
come in on the cruise ship!
They seem to be really catching the vision lately and we
are blessed to be partnering with them to make lives better here.

Thanks again for your prayers, your support and love.
We couldn't do it without you!
xo






No comments:

Post a Comment