Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Hottest Sparrow


I am so sorry for not writing sooner but I have my friend Karen visiting from Canada and one thing we love to do is show this island off to people so I have been ‘out and about’ more then indoors.

But I do want to tell you about an experience we had last weekend. We had the privilege of joining up with a medical team to help out in Hottest Sparrow, which is a poor, isolated area of the island.

We joined up around 7:30 in the morning with 2 Doctors, 3 nurses and Bob and myself. We drove down a dusty road in the back of a pick up with medicine, vitamins, toys, clothes, shoes, and excitement and hope in our hearts.

They don’t have a clinic out there so we used a two-room school as a means of administering to the people who live nearby. One room was used for triage and the other for pharmacy. The other room was where the two doctors saw the patients. At first there were just little curious kids hanging around outside. I saw this little girl standing by a tree and took her picture. I found out later her name is Rosa, and I also discovered later that she would be one of the ones who stole my hearts, It didn’t take long for the word to get aroud that the doctors had arrived and more and more people came.

They began lining up outside the building and Bob’s job was to provide order and also to ‘entertain’ those who were waiting to see the doctor. Karen and Lindsay (mother and daughter) had the privilege of working together in triage.


I helped in the pharmacy and also gave each child a toothbrush, some toothpaste and a small stuffed animal. I think I had a great job since many of them were so excited to have these small gifts. I want to say thanks to City Heights Church for providing the things that we were able to give to the people here! Bless your hearts!



I helped in the pharmacy and also gave each child a toothbrush, some toothpaste and a small stuffed animal.

I think I had a great job since many of them were so excited to have these small gifts. I want to say thanks to City Heights Church for providing the things that we were able to give to the people here! Bless your hearts!



We saw 91 patients in the course of the morning so needless to say it was a very busy day. Each family was given vitamins, and anti parasitic medication plus any other medication that was necessary.



There is a lady I met in Coxen Hole at Christmas named Nidia who told me about the needs of Hottest Sparrow so I had a lot of clothes, and shoes to give to one family in particular that she felt would really benefit.

I had the privilege of going to deliver these things to her home. It was a short walk up a dusty dry road to her place. Imagine a small one room shack with a tin roof and that is what they call home. She was so pleased with what we brought for her family. I believe that truly the Lord is so true in saying ‘it is more blessed to give then to receive” but I know I was sure blessed that day.


Can you imagine if you gave someone a simple pair of black shoes and it brought tears to their eyes?? Well I gave a pair to a little girl about 8 years old and she was so touched and happy. Her mom told me (through a translator) that her daughter had been crying for days now because she didn’t have shoes to wear to school. The kids here wear uniforms with black shoes and she felt terrible to not own any. So I know that was a great need in her little life! It is the smallest things that matter.

Just before I left to go back to the clinic I gathered the family together and I prayed for them. It was a beautiful moment of lifting them before the God of all. The thing that was deeply impressed on my heart is that He knows them all by name (how precious is that??) and He will take care of them. Such good care of them.

This family has so many needs. I asked about bringing food to the ‘clinics’ but the doctor (who is an islander) said that providing food for one day doesn’t really help the family in the long run. What they need is someone to provide for them on a monthly basis in order to help them nutritionally. We are asking the Lord what is our part with this family. The husband works in a cornfield nearby but since his wages are very minimal, and he just can’t provide for his family. What this woman really needs is a tubal ligation but she needs someone to take care of the kids and the house for a couple of weeks so she can heal. It wouldn’t cost much to have another woman come in to help with the cooking and the cleaning. All of this compels me to want to help. The needs are so great! What about you? Perhaps you are moved to make life easier for this family. If so, then email me and we can talk further about what you can do.

I believe that truly the Lord is so true in saying ‘it is more blessed to give then to receive” but I know I was sure blessed that day.



1 comment:

  1. Sound like you and Karen had a great time. I can't wait to see your beautiful island. Looks like it is a go.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete